New Performer Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Hilliard

TVWBB Fan
I've haven't logged in here for a long time, but I bought a new Weber Performer today for $150 and I'm curious how to hear from others who have this grill about how it has held up. I know I got a super deal, I'm mainly wondering in the long term how the gas lighter and plastic table have worked out.
Thanks in advance, Don

I have had mine for 3 years and use it during the summer months 3-4 times a week.

I like to wipe down my entire grill about once a month with Cinch. <<--- I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!

Always keep it covered when not in use.

No problems at all with the igniter or cracking in the table.

I do have some grease stains which have discolored the plastic a little bit but nothing out of the ordinary.

GREAT GRILL IMHO
wsmsmile8gm.gif

It was a great find. I saw this grill in the store all summer long priced at $299, then today we stopped to buy some other stuff and it was marked 50% off. It was missing the thermometer, but I already had a Weber thermometer I used on my WSM before I went digital. So tonight we cooked 2 t-bones, some burgers, some chorizo, and a tilipia on it. I already love the attached work area.

Congrats Don. You're going to love that thing.

I've only had mine just over two months and I'm in love. Don't know how I ever lived without one.

I bought mine one years ago this past July, and it gets used at least 4 times per week including the winter months.

The grill cleans up easily, and I haven't had any issues with it at all.

I have a 22.5 OTG that I have not used since we brought the Performer home.

Keep it covered, and keep it out of the elements...w/ a good cleaning from time to time, should last many, many years. Just like anything...depends on how one takes care of there "stuff"

Don,
I bought my Performer a couple months ago for $50.00 after it had been returned to Wally World with missing parts & dented lid & bottom kettle & cracked table. I called Weber and told them the whole story and they replaced everything. I absolutely love this grill & my problem is only that I will not cook in it as I have a perfect 22.5" silver kettle that works perfectly. I do use the table top. My next grill will always be a Weber product. Just because of their excellent customer service.

Have my Performer now for 3 years. No problems with the ignitor - this, the table and charcoal storage was key features for me along with the storage shelf underneath. Comes with a nice quality cover.

I cracked my table by lifting from it when moving it from the porch to the patio. MY FAULT - I was moving with the cover on and didn't realize where I was attempting to lift from.

Which the fuel tube on the ignitor assembly just as you would a gas grill. Normal care to keep the tube clean and free from spider webs, etc. Or - when the ignitor stops working remember to do that
icon_smile.gif

I didn't LOVE the wire racks though. At minimum upgrade to stainless steel food grates, you can order them from Weber. The plated ones that come with it will eventually rust especially if you clean them with abrasives like steel wool pads, etc. I'd recommend using some of the $$ you saved to buy cast iron grate replacements rather than stay with wire racks. Adding cast iron food grates was a huge plus for me.

Take a permanent marker and put some marks on the slot where the vent handle slides and make a marks for full, have quarter open and fully closed.

Love the one touch and easily removable ash can.

The charcoal storage bin. I keep the charcoal in the bag and just slip it in. Very convenient. and keeps the fuel dry if caught out in the rain. One tip especially if loading fuel on one side. If you load the fuel on the side toward the bin try to remember to leave it tilted open during the cook. The heat from the kettle can deform the plastic of the blow molded bin. I had that happen to mine, especially when using lump, which burns hotter IMHO. Weber replaced it for free. I've managed to deform the second one just a little (forgot to tilt the bin open during use as above).

Personally I like the newer model better than the older (metal table model). On the older model, although it has a bigger fuel tank and SS table, you take up space on the bottom storage rack for the larger propane container. I find that the smaller gas bottle works great. Remember - you only need to leave the gas lit until the charcoal just starts to light (about 5 minutes), then shut it off and let the fuel continue lighting until ready. It can be easy to forget at first and leave the propane lit and empty out the canister prematurely. A canister of fuel easily lasts me a season. On the older stainless steel table you had to lift the door on the table top to get to the fuel, inconvenient when using the top while cooking.

Weber service is great and they stand by their product!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back