New Perfomer User - please advise.

Joe Hugh

Hello All,

First time poster. After seeing my father-in-laws Performer, I have wanted one for 6 months or so. However, the $400 price tag was inhibitive. Well, today, as I browsed craigslist, I found a Weber Performer for $40 ! I raced over to the owner's home and bought the grill. The grill has been abused and neglected but its basically all there. I cleaned the grill up and had it running tonight.

Afer ordering new grates ($30), I have the following issues to take care of:

1. Igniter 'clicks' but doesnt seem to spark. What things should I check?

2. The bowl has grill "tabs" that have rotted off that support the lower grate. Grate seems to still be fairly stable though. Replace bowl or use screws or simlar to add "tabs"?

3. Is the black plastic hinge cover for the igniter replaceable? I have the cover but the hinge arm has snapped.

4. Table is 90% clean - I used a magic sponge. Any other ideas?

Thanks all - even "as is", Im very pleased for $40 :)

23kxb8i.jpg

I wonder why that appliance factory does not list parts for the newer Performers, I think mine is a 2010 model but not sure.

1. Igniter 'clicks' but doesnt seem to spark. What things should I check?

I "fixed" this issue by ordering a new igniter and metal "tube" that runs into the BBQ. It will be here Thursday. I figured for $35, why play around with it and my "tube" was rusted away at the end anyways. Other than the bowl, the BBQ is 8/10 condition for a total investment of $100 :) (purchase price, 2 new grates, igniter and "tube") Excited to try it all out. :)

That looks like a great find. Never hurts to check with Weber to see if it's registered. Some parts should still be under warranty if needed in the future. You might be able to get a replacement bowl.
Is that kettle gray?

That looks like a great find. Never hurts to check with Weber to see if it's registered. Some parts should still be under warranty if needed in the future. You might be able to get a replacement bowl.
Is that kettle gray?

Thanks - yes, its gray. The bowl will work for this season I would imagine. I may get a replacement bowl in the "off season" - perhaps prices are cheaper then?

I realize that by the time I'm finished (new bowl etc) my $40 deal get s more and more expensive. However, Im a tinkerer and love to know how things work and go together. Ive had $40 of fun already. :)

The gray Performers of that vintage were sold at Crate and Barrel (trivia); I have one that's identical. Call Weber and register it (the previous owner probably didn't). I bought mine for $50 and it was in great condition except the table was broken and the igniter wouldn't spark. I registered it, then Weber replaced the table for free. Use a long lighter to ignite.

The gray Performers of that vintage were sold at Crate and Barrel (trivia); I have one that's identical. Call Weber and register it (the previous owner probably didn't). I bought mine for $50 and it was in great condition except the table was broken and the igniter wouldn't spark. I registered it, then Weber replaced the table for free. Use a long lighter to ignite.

Interesting. But as its at least 7 years old, what is covered under the warranty? Is there a lifetime warranty on some parts?

Thanks!

Like Drew said contact weber and have the serial # handy. Explain what you need, sometimes they will fix you up under warranty. Also if you plan on using it a lot and you don't move it around a lot get a hose that will allow you to hook up a 20# tank, buying those little tanks will drive you to the poor house. I have two performers both going on two years with one 20# tank on each.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-6-...67&gclid=CNHO6fmRhc0CFRHqfgodb_oLRA&gclsrc=ds

Like Drew said contact weber and have the serial # handy. Explain what you need, sometimes they will fix you up under warranty. Also if you plan on using it a lot and you don't move it around a lot get a hose that will allow you to hook up a 20# tank, buying those little tanks will drive you to the poor house. I have two performers both going on two years with one 20# tank on each.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-6-...67&gclid=CNHO6fmRhc0CFRHqfgodb_oLRA&gclsrc=ds

Thanks Rich. I will pick up a hose nest time Im in HD. I have a "spare" 20# tank that is almost full. It came off my old gas BBQ. Much appreciated!

Regarding the gas ignitor. You may have already tried this but, the sparking end of the ignitor is screwed into the ignitor tube just before it enters the kettle. Unscrew it from the tube and wire brush / clean the the metal portion of the ignitor end.

When I bought my performer off of kijiji (version of craigslist), my ignitor also did not work. All I did was that and the ignitor still works 6 years later. Great buy, enjoy fixing it up.

Back