New owner with a few questions.

Coley Archie

Have struggled over the years with an old Brinkman, finally treated myself to what should be a much better tool.

I plan on installing an ATC unit,(DigiQ on the way) will install probe grommets tomorrow, but find the location of the charcoal grate somewhat low for the ATC. It sits below the bottom of the vent holes. I did a search and found a little discussion about raising the charcoal grate, but no real information. Is this a mod that has fallen out of favor, and is it necessary for the blower to provide air below the coals or reaching to solve a problem that does not exist?

Had my WSM for 3 years now. I see no reason to put an ATC on it. Mine keeps perfectly constant temps all things considered. Full ring of charcoal, 30 briquetts fully lit on top. Good for 12-14 hours.

Ben

I don't own an ATC, but I believe the raising the grate mod was for the early 22.5" WSM's. The lower vent tabs used to hit the coal grate keeping it from fully closing.

Tim

Coley,
I have the digi dx on my 18.5". I didn't modify anything. The vent on the digi sets slightly above the charcoal grate but the air flow is directed downward. I seriously doubt that you will need to modify the charcoal grate's position.

BBQ Guru's installation instructions are not the best in the world. Here is a good installation video. Be sure to read the "Show More" comments section. The guy didn't "fit" the adapter to the pit correctly and mentions the correction in the comments. The guy also have a second video on operation that's worth watching, but guru's instructions are good for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bwOUjFgLyE

Back