New OTS - So excited. But why did I not buy before??? Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Dallal

TVWBB Member
Almost on a whim (not really, but long story), I bought a new One Touch Silver Saturday. I was getting a ton of Kingsford for my WSM since on sale and saw the One-Touch and thought "why haven't you bought one? You have the charcoal anyway for the smoker". So I did!

Grabbed the tool holder, charcoal holder/separator and cover.

Saturday I broke it in with some burgers for the fam. They were good. I was surprised how hot it got, so I over did them a bit. Still good taste. Just closer to med well, than med-med/rare. I got the 22.5" and so glad I did. I love all the space for direct and indirect cooking.

Yesterday I went and got a couple of pork loins. Marinated a couple hours. Then put a drip pan in the middle with some white wine. I also added one chunk of apple wood to each of the charcoal holders. I seared the porks over the direct heat for about 2 minutes a side, than rolled them over to the middle. They weren't big, so after about 20 minutes I stuck a probe in there and let them go another 5-7 minutes while I finished the yard. I pulled them right at 142 or so, let them rest and oh dear lord so good!! Best pork ever!! After eating those, I realized there was a good bit of hot coals left, so I quickly cut up a pineapple and threw that on...so so good.

After just two cooks, I love this little guy. Only thing I didn't like was the grate. So I ordered the Char-boil cast iron replacement grate. See how that works. I'm amazed at how hot it gets and how efficient it is. I even got a nice small little smoke ring in the pork!

This makes the 3rd Weber to my family. I have a 7-8 year old original Q that is still awesome for tailgating, portability, etc. Love it! And a 2-3 year old WSM that of course is fantastic.

Yes, I'll be adding a gas one. But I kind of got this OTS to get me through (and the cheap gas one I have) till I can afford (ready justify) getting the Guinness 330 in Natural Gas.

Anyway, kicking myself for not picking up or at least grabbing a used one before. These little guys just rock!!

Scott,

Congrats to you, and now you have the "bug"!
icon_biggrin.gif
Just yesterday I got a 15 hr burn from one "half load" of Kingsford charcoal on my Performer without adding any additional coals. The 8 lb pork butt was unbelievably perfect - just fell apart as I foiled it for the final hour.

In 2 weeks we're going to host a "grilled pizza" party with some close friends and the Performer will be the star of the show. You talk high temps, but it's NOTHING to hit 650-700 in my old Bar-B-Kettle for searing. I'll have the Performer loaded with enough lump to hold 600+ for at least 45 mins - enough to do 5 pizzas! Looking forward to it.

Any other recommendations for needed accessories? So far I got,

-Tool hanger
-Weber wire grate cleaner
-Dual coal holders
-Weber cover (tho it is grey and seems much thinner than the black one for my WSM)
-Char-boil CI replacement grates (on order)

I'm looking for the right size galvanized bucket for an ash catcher. Yea, I thought about getting the Gold, but since sort of a whim I went with the Silver. The ash so far is not an issue, but last couple days hasn't been windy either. So I want to put something down there with a lip for those light breezy days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Dallal:
Any other recommendations for needed accessories? So far I got,

-Tool hanger
-Weber wire grate cleaner
-Dual coal holders
-Weber cover (tho it is grey and seems much thinner than the black one for my WSM)
-Char-boil CI replacement grates (on order)

I'm looking for the right size galvanized bucket for an ash catcher. Yea, I thought about getting the Gold, but since sort of a whim I went with the Silver. The ash so far is not an issue, but last couple days hasn't been windy either. So I want to put something down there with a lip for those light breezy days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congrats on joining the "kettle club". I recommend the black premium cover. I used to have the thind gray ones and only got about 2 seasons out of them before the got holes in them. Plus they can get blown off on a really windy day. The black ones stay on through at least 60 MPH winds. Just my .02
icon_smile.gif

I say go ahead and get the "Gold" ash catcher. You'll be glad you did. Once you get it, and realize the ease of cleaning, you'll never look back.

Search eBay, look for seller "webercloseouts" - he sells them for about $42 w/shipping (includes the ash pan and mounting bracket. Probably difficult to get from Weber if you don't already have the same model.

Well I found a perfect sized galvanized bucket that works perfect. So I don't think I'll need the ash catcher.

Yea, the slide-a-slide is something to consider. I keep missing the little hook for one thing.

I love those coal holders. Made the best pork tenderloin (and doing one tonight). Couple minutes over direct heat, then move to the middle and over drip pan filled with wine. chunk of Apple wood and so good.

Get the BLACK cover. The grey covers do not last as I found out the hard way.
guy

I cooked ribs on my performer yesterday instead of breaking out the WSM, set at 250 for the whole cook without any adjustment. Then turned up the heat for a strawberry cobbler. Can't find anything that you can't cook or taste better whe cooked on a Weber.

Yea since I got my performer I have not used any of my other grills or smokers....I know there is no such thing as a perfect cooker,but I think the performer is as close as it gets.Might be having a cooker sale in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back