New OTG w/ Thermometer

Bob Mann

TVWBB Honor Circle
I finally got my new 22 1/2" OTG put together and ready to go.
I got a replacement thermometer and bezel for a Performer and installed it in the lid.

Can't wait to cook something in it!

mmspicture001640.jpg

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Purnell:
I think this is it:

70180 Thermometer kit $7.40 + shipping </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, I got:
Thermometer + Bezel, Weber 22.5, 2010+ Performer #70180

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
really, cook something ! anything ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Take it easy George! It's still brand new.

Congratulations Bob! Very sweet grill.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">70180 Thermometer kit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Bob,
Where did you get it for that price?
AJ

I got two of those therm from Weber. They didn't want to sell me them, I really had to work hard to get them. I needed to prove somehow that I had a grill with the therm in it and it needed to be replaced. Somehow I convinced the lady and I got them. I was one of those strange Weber customer service moments. Sometimes they help, sometimes they like to give you a hassle.

Brian

Same thing here, I did what Brian said and got the thermometer from weber, told them it was for my performer, but they would not sell me the ash catcher, found it on another site from ebay, now I have a OTS that looks like a OTG with a thermometer.

Wow, so I guess if I call them I need to tell them I have an (imaginary) Performer and the thermometer/bezel were damaged when a wind storm blew the top around on my patio? I can't just call and order by the part # for my OTG?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon Risko:
Wow, so I guess if I call them I need to tell them I have an (imaginary) Performer and the thermometer/bezel were damaged when a wind storm blew the top around on my patio? I can't just call and order by the part # for my OTG? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, you gotta lie (against my principles). But "webercloseouts" on eBay sells a Therm for the Summit - the smaller one - and the 18" WSM temperature gauge bezel all the time on eBay. It'll cost you more than what people are paying Weber ($20-$25 w/shipping), but it gives a guranteed hassle-free option to obtaining the parts.

If you go this route, please get the 18" WSM bezel, and Weber Summit thermometer that fits that bezel. I purchased the 22" WSM and larger Summit therm for a 22 inch kettle and it looks like a giant wart sitting on the kettle.
icon_eek.gif
Waaaaay too big.

Don't bother with the WSM thermometer either - it only goes up to 400 degrees or so, and you'll blast through that on your next cook.

What does Weber really care why you need a part? I have heard about this a lot. It's not as if you are trying to buy missile parts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
I have been wondering if Tel-Tru makes a thermometer to fit the bezels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They make a 1.75" and 2" BBQ therm that "should" work...I think the WSM bezel supposedly fits a 1.75" therm. I too have thought about this and am close to buying the bezel and Tel-Tru to see if they mate up.

http://www.teltru.com/s-138-barbeque-grill.aspx

Thanks Brandon, if they are interchangeable they would also be a nice upgrade. I need one for a bezel from a 22 wsm that I am useing on a higher heat mod. So the larger 2 inch Tel Tru might work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ryanburns:
What does Weber really care why you need a part? I have heard about this a lot. It's not as if you are trying to buy missile parts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The lady told me she was concerned that I was going to drill the lid and therefore cause it to rust, then I would call back and demand a warranty replacement lid because of rust. It's crazy I think. Other customer service people will sell it to you no questions asked. Somehow they were under the impression that my performer has the therm in it even though I told one lady it wasn't that kind. Somehow I confused them enough that they sent me what I wanted. There are ways to get around it, maybe say its for your mothers performer and shes old, or something, just stay in a gray area. It's not like I'm lying to do something malicious. I'm just trying to get a therm for my grill. At the end of the day I can go to Home Despot and get a therm and drill my lid. They can't stop me.

Brian

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian O'Neal:
They can't stop me.

Brian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_biggrin.gif

Back