New one-touch gold 22"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I have a Genesis 1000 LP Gas Grill I just bought a Weber One-touch gold 22 1/2 so I can taste the real barbeque flavor that is lacking from the gas grill. This model was on sale at Amazon and the shipping was free, so I talked my wife into an early birthday gift. I know it’s a waste of money but with the one-touch it only takes as long as the briquettes take to get grey on the outside after lighting and if someone wants seconds I can just go back out and throw more meat it’s grill. I’m going to break it in with hotdogs unless somebody can come up with a better recommendation. Nothing elaborate just straight barbequing so I can learn the grill. I’ve learned so much from this site. I would’ve never done this if it wasn’t for this site.

Well your off to a great start...I love my kettles. Id try some steaks myself. I can promise you one thing...you will now use your gasser MUCH less and you will be hooked! Just a warning.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Michael:
you will now use your gasser MUCH less and you will be hooked! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup! I never use my gasser anymore...It's just a glorified shelf for all my grilling tools while I'm cooking on the OTG or WSM, and the occasional side dish warmer. I'm selling her soon to a friend and getting a Performer...Can't wait.

Welcome to the board! Don't forget to post some pics.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank Mastrogiovanni:
Even though I have a Genesis 1000 LP Gas Grill I just bought a Weber One-touch gold 22 1/2 so I can taste the real barbeque flavor that is lacking from the gas grill. This model was on sale at Amazon and the shipping was free, so I talked my wife into an early birthday gift. I know it’s a waste of money I know it’s a waste of money but with the one-touch it only takes as long as the briquettes take to get grey on the outside after lighting and if someone wants seconds I can just go back out and throw more meat it’s grill. I’m going to break it in with hotdogs unless somebody can come up with a better recommendation. Nothing elaborate just straight barbequing so I can learn the grill. I’ve learned so much from this site. I would’ve never done this if it wasn’t for this site. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Waste? "I don't think so TIM" not only are you going to get hooked on using the 22" you may end up getting a second so all the cooking can be finished at the same time.

As for the "OTHER" grill, you can always use it for grilling veggies WHILE cooking on the 22" or get the rotating attachment for it and cook some whole birds.... OR during big parties cook the KIDS burgers on the gasser
icon_eek.gif

I got my OTG about a month after I bought a new gasser. Have only used the gasser once since I got the OTG and I grill 3-4 times a week minimum. The gasser became the waste of money. I could have bought a Performer and WSM for the price I paid for that new gas grill I have just sitting on the patio plus have money left over for charcoal.

I used to have an earlier version of the weber one touch from the mid 1970s (a red one) we bought from K-mart but through lack of experience and frustration it sat in the yard rarely used and left to the elements for more than 20 years. When we got the Genesis in 1999, we put the red one-touch out with the trash. Every thing on it was broke or rusted out except the bowl and lid. The little Weber Red One lasted all of 2 minuets before a car pulled up to the side of my house, scooped the red (ashes and all) gift up and drove off to live a better and more appreciated life somewhere else.

I have already asked my wife if we could give the gasser to my nephew, but her no was adamant, as we used half our income tax refund check to purchase, have assembled and delivered the Genesis that year. You see I earn all the incoming income in our household but she decides when, where and how it’s spent. Those are the rules and I’ve learned to live with them for more than 35 years. So the gasser stays…for now.

Hey guys, Gary Michael, Don Cash, George Curtis, Dan {dutch oven Dan}, and John Solak, thanks for the response and morale building replies. My OTG plans for Saturday rained out and we settled for hotdogs cooked indoors on our George Forman. Monday the weather will be perfect for the inaugural OTG barbeque burgers using 33% beef, pork and veal.

What style cooking techniques to you guys use. Direct heat, indirect heat or both, when and why?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank Mastrogiovanni:
My OTG plans for Saturday rained out... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rain schmain
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What style cooking techniques to you guys use. Direct heat, indirect heat or both, when and why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Short answer...both. Here's how I do some things. This is by no means the only way to do them:

Usually if doing beef steaks, it's direct all the way...unless they are pretty thick. Then it's direct to sear and then indirect to come to desired temp. Some do the reverse (search "reverse sear").

Our favorite cut of beef is a skirt steak. Direct all the way as it's a thin cut. Here are some links:
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...=357107252#357107252
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...=928102512#928102512

Chicken I almost always do indirect but will often crisp up the skin directly at the end.

Burgers - direct

Dogs - indirect

Seafood - direct

I could go on but the best way to figure things out is to get out and cook (and read as much as you can on here). If you get hooked, like me, you will find yourself in front of the grill as often as you can. Soon things will click and it becomes more fun than worrisome. Try not to sweat it and have fun.

Remember, successful cooks give you confidence. Unsuccessful cooks give you knowledge...

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hi again Don, great photos and a picture tells 1000 words. I got your meaning by looking at the photos and know how I’ll proceed today. Indirect heat is basically the same as the gas grill. I’m hungry already and today it will be the 3meat burgers over direct heat. Thanks for the quick get back. I’ll let you know how it went. Thanks again!

icon_smile.gif

Just about everything I do is direct from 3 to 7 minutes a side and then indirect until finished. Everything seems to be moister this way and I usually try to cook the thickest cut I can find, especially pork.

We had our barbequed 3 meat burgers last night and it was the first time we had a burger with a smoke ring. I still have to learn the OTG but this going to be a lot of fun. I lit the 50 Kingsford briquettes with my chimney starter and dumped them in the new Weber 7403 Char-Basket Charcoal Briquet Holders which I found out that I really didn’t need. Then I add one small Mesquite Wood chunks to each holder. The temperature was up to 450 degrees so I started cooking th e 2 burgers on indirect heat and finished them on direct heat. I also used to cheap tin foil pans (to catch the grease from the burgers) in between the briquette holders. I was really happy with the results and have also ordered Weber's Charcoal Grilling: The Art of Cooking with Live Fire (Paperback) from Amazon to help get more ideas for barbequing. All the Weber products were ordered on Amazon and I went through the Virtual Weber Bullet site first so the site could get credit for the sales.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back