New member Used WSM 22 1st cook

You do have air leaks, but you also have a huge heat sink in the water pan full of lava rocks. They will give off heat for a long time after the fire is out. How much and for how long I don't know. Then again, I have seen the lid thermometer on my WSM say it is 110 and I haven't had a fire in it for days.

You do have air leaks, but you also have a huge heat sink in the water pan full of lava rocks. They will give off heat for a long time after the fire is out. How much and for how long I don't know. Then again, I have seen the lid thermometer on my WSM say it is 110 and I haven't had a fire in it for days.

HI So if I take out the waterpan with the lava rocks it will cool off quicker..Got to try that next time. Just might put water in the pan and see how the cook goes.
Thanks Dan

HI All Fired up the WSM, held temps pretty well..I used some foil tape to close off the pin holes around vents..Shut ALL the vents at 6, 45 minutes later it is still reading 198 from 271.. Does that sound normal?
No more leaks around the door,just some smoke coming out from where the lid meets the barrel..Hoping it would cool down faster, so I get it covered and protected from the rain, that is due.

THanks Dan

Is that the chicken you cooked on 7/4?

How did it turn out?

Is that the chicken you cooked on 7/4?

How did it turn out?

Hi Both the chicken and ribs came out on the dry side..The chicken was either over smoked with apple n cherry or got hit with creosote.. Didn't really taste good at all.
Dan

I have the 22.5"wsm also, and my biggest problem was the door. I replaced it with the cajun Bandit ss door. Have you checked to see if the wsm is out of round? That would be my guess as to why you get so much smoke out of the lid. I never did the gasket thing on my wsm's and never get that much smoke pouring out. If temps are a little too high for ya I would try water in the pan till you're comfortable going waterless. I ran water in mine for about the first year I had it, but now I just foil the pan. The 22.5"wsm is a great smoker, but there can be a bit of a learning curve.

I have had a 22.5" WSM for about 15 months and pretty much still a noob but learning all the time.
Using Weber briqs and the water pan filled I can get a pretty stable temp for several hours.
Last Friday I did a couple of racks of ribs. I had two bottom vents closed and one open a crack. Top vent always fully open and it ran 238 - 255 degrees.
Temp shoots up when you take the lid off as expected but drops back after a while.
Smoke leaking from the top like yours, but not as much.
I will post try to post a pic but very interesting to look at the pattern of how the briqs burned (or didn't burn)
Pretty obvious which vent was open. The rest I think show that the door leaks. A lot of unburnt fuel so I think my 6 hour cook could have run another 4 maybe.

To run at 225 I probably need to shut all the bottom vents and let the leaks provide the oxygen.

I need a gasket kit and CB door and/or an ATC to get a stable 225 - all part of my investment strategy.

HI All Where can I find this? I also recommend you read Chris' articles in "Cooking Topics" where most of what you need to know is laid out very nicely.
Thanks Dan

If you are asking where to find the cooking topics, follow this link or press the link at the top of this page that says "Weber Virtual Bullit".

HI All Where can I find this? I also recommend you read Chris' articles in "Cooking Topics" where most of what you need to know is laid out very nicely.
Thanks Dan

Back