New Linkmeter (Version 20131007B) keeps losing my stashed logs?

Riku Naskali

TVWBB Member
Hi,

I didn't have this problem with the previous version, but now that I've upgraded I keep losing my stashed logs. It has happened twice already, but it's not happening every time I power cycle Linkmeter.

Hmm, maybe this is the culprit? When I lost the stash archive, system log had this:

Sep 8 18:44:08 OpenWrt daemon.info avahi-daemon[402]: Service "Web Server on OpenWrt" (/etc/avahi/services/http.service) successfully established.
Sep 8 18:44:09 OpenWrt user.info sysinit: e2fsck 1.42.4 (12-June-2012)
Sep 8 18:44:09 OpenWrt user.info sysinit: Formatting filesystem...
Sep 8 18:44:09 OpenWrt user.info sysinit: mke2fs 1.42.4 (12-June-2012)

?? And when I didn't lose it, I had this:

Sep 8 18:44:08 OpenWrt daemon.info avahi-daemon[402]: Service "Web Server on OpenWrt" (/etc/avahi/services/http.service) successfully established.
Sep 8 18:44:09 OpenWrt user.info sysinit: e2fsck 1.42.4 (12-June-2012)
Sep 8 18:44:09 OpenWrt kern.warn kernel: [ 14.425666] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p4): warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
Sep 8 18:44:09 OpenWrt kern.info kernel: [ 14.533956] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p4): mounted filesystem without journal. Opts: (null)

e2fsck says:

Warning! /dev/mmcblk0p4 is mounted.
/dev/mmcblk0p4 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/mmcblk0p4: 16/16384 files (18.8% non-contiguous), 2281/65536 blocks

Well that's strange, it seems to think (in the first log) that the partition is blank or fsck failed so it recreates it and formats it. I don't know what would cause that though. Was there anything you did before the first reboot?

No I don't think I did anything out of the ordinary. However on the first boot heatermeter had been off for several days and transported from a different place. On the second reboot I tried to recreate the problem, so I just unplugged it for a while. Actually I think it has done this after every off-site cook since upgrading :-(

I'll see if I can reproduce that. All the tests I've done have been with just reboots and a few short power-downs. I'll try leaving it unplugged for a few days then seeing what happens when I power it up.

Well I had my linkmeter unplugged for four days. And it still kept the stashed logs. I guess it only loses them when they are important :confused:

I plugged my HeaterMeters back in today. One had been off since last Thursday (6 days), the other since Wednesday (7 days). Both came back up with all their stashes intact.

If anyone can come up with a way to reliably reproduce this let me know. Until then I'm going to keep cycling my devices to see if I can make it happen.

Update! I was able to reproduce once by stashing a database and pulling the plug as fast as I can afterwards. The underlying filesystem was corrupted despite being mounted -o sync, so the mount process reformatted it.

For those who've lost stashes, was it on the subsequent boot after you stashed something?

Update! I was able to reproduce once by stashing a database and pulling the plug as fast as I can afterwards. The underlying filesystem was corrupted despite being mounted -o sync, so the mount process reformatted it.

For those who've lost stashes, was it on the subsequent boot after you stashed something?

not in my case.

Probably. Most likely, since that's when I'd find it out. I've always stashed before shutting down. But it's been at least 30 seconds after stashing and unplugging, is that fast enough to corrupt something ;)?

Back