New Jumbo Joe.

I took one camping last weekend for the first time. Having never cooked on it (I have an Akorn for my main grill) I wasn't sure how well it'd work. I set it up indirect with lump charcoal on each side and a foil pan in the middle of the charcoal grate. threw on about 10-12 wings and they cooked perfectly, was very pleased.

The wings were from raichlen s bbq usa book, Buffaque wings with apple wood for some smoke... Fantastic!

OK, I finally got the chance to use mine and I have to say that I like it a lot. The kids have all pretty much left the nest, (one's still hanging on), and I find myself just cooking for my wife and myself quite a bit. I like the 18.5" size better than my smokey joe, and using it I don't have to take my WSM Mini apart as often. The price was right, (free), and I am enjoying using it when I can.

. . . after several uses, the bowl seem to somehow conform with the lid and I never had the issue again. . . .

I had the same experience. When I first put it together, the lid and bowl did not fit neatly. After a few uses, I couldn't even tell I had an issue to begin with - fits great now.

I finally used mine on vacation along with the new portable weber table. It worked very well as did the table. I also initially had problems with the lid fitting too tightly but after some use, it goes on and off easily. I definitely like this one better than the smaller smoky joe.

Wayne

How much headspace is there between the cooking grate and the lid? My 14/5" Joe can't fit a very big chicken, and the 22.5" kettle needs so many new parts it would cost less to buy a new grill- so I was thinking of upgrading to the Jumbo Joe (and keeping it on a shelf in the garage hence the portable model)

I also have a WSM 18.5", a Q230, and a Gas Go-Anywhere so it's not like I really "need" another grill.

I just picked one up for 50% off at Target. Has anyone tried to cook pizza on one of these with a stone?

I have made pizza two ways on the Jumbo with a stone. I had the most luck when I hade a heat deflector between the coals and the stone...a foil pan worked pretty good.
Weber-Jumbo-Joe-Pizza.jpg

Have also used the KettlePizza on the Jumbo.
IMG_2640.jpg

Weber-Jumbo-Joe-Kettle-Pizza.jpg

If you place the grate and stone at the top of the KettlePizza it works great.

Chip, there is plenty of room to raise the stone without using the KettlePizza.

When I raised the stone with a foil pan it takes a while to cook the pizza (around 30 minutes?).

When I use the KettlePizza (with the stone mounted near the lid) I get to run things hotter and the pizza cooks faster/better (around 10 minutes).

Back