New Jumbo Joe grate recommendation

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I’m looking to upgrade the grate for my jumbo joe. Which would be better (I know, subjective) a Grill Grates insert or a cast iron grate. The cast iron seems to be about $20 more but at these prices, price is not a deciding factor between to two. Which one will cook better, clean up better and last longer?

I would steer clear of the grill grate. If you can get cast iron that's ok. If you could find heavy stainless ones..................da bomb right there

I would steer clear of the grill grate. If you can get cast iron that's ok. If you could find heavy stainless ones..................da bomb right there
Okay, we can add that to the list. They’re in the same price range. What advantage would I get from heavy duty stainless versus the grate that it comes with? I’m sure it would last longer but would it cook any different? Any better?

EZ maintenance and the same quality grilling or better overall than CI. Trouble with CI as a grilling grate (as I see it and as I've had to deal with them) is while CI can take pretty intense heat, in a grill (especially a coal burner) you're looking at not only heat but intense radiant and open flame heat. Which will tend to burn off any seasoning. On a gas grill that is bad but a gas grill does not see the same intensity of radiant (infrared) heat as burning coal gives off. And I can tell you trying to maintain the CI I had on my Wolf grill was a nightmare. Oh I loved them but more for the "idea" than the actual performance.
My SS ones are irreplaceable. Far superior in every way to what the CI was.

You can take my CI grates from my cold, dead hands!

And if you will. These bastards will outlast me.

I do use them on the spirit grill, and I love em to death. High heat searing, heat retention, normalizes heat between the burners. Everything I want.

I do not have issues with the seasoning. If you do, you can put a little oil on the hot grate before the cook. That way you always have a little layer on.

If you use the JJ often to keep the grates cured with oils from cooking they will not rust, and will give great controlled even heat. And last, which all means you will only buy once.

Wish that was true, because if so I would not have had to buy new grates from Dave Santana for my Wolf. I cared for them the way a new mom cares for a newborn. Down to keeping them inside, reseasoning after every use and more. Raw CI is not a good match for grill grates. Beside, I'd rather be cookin' than playing with grates

Wish that was true, because if so I would not have had to buy new grates from Dave Santana for my Wolf. I cared for them the way a new mom cares for a newborn. Down to keeping them inside, reseasoning after every use and more. Raw CI is not a good match for grill grates. Beside, I'd rather be cookin' than playing with grates
Any signs of wear on those grates from Dave?

Did a little searching and it doesn't look like he (Dave) makes a grate for the Jumbo Joe (18" round). Best I could find was one made of 7 gauge stainless steal. In the picture that doesn't look any thicker than a standard grate.

Back