New Jersey Favorite...Anyone try a pork roll?

Phil E

From the what if category......if you are from NJ as my wife is you love pork roll. It appears to be a version of odds and ends from the slaughter house floor with a s**t load of salt added in. She loves it...and I...well...I tried it. But of course the first thing I thought of was smoking it on the WSM. I got her a six pound roll and it looked just like a huge fatty. Anyone ever try this?

Sounds interesting. Pork roll for me at least might just be the best food EVER. Dare i say I prefer it to bacon for breakfast anyday. let me know how it turns out, if I don't try it first.

Yeah, NJ people are crazy on the pork roll. It is sort of a cross between Canadian Bacon and a hot dog. It is loaded with nitrates. It is great on egg sandwiches since it is flat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heff:
Yeah, NJ people are crazy on the pork roll. It is sort of a cross between Canadian Bacon and a hot dog. It is loaded with nitrates. It is great on egg sandwiches since it is flat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think either of those have ever come to mind when eating pork roll. Especially the canadian bacon.

J Graz,

Are you kidding? Pork Roll, egg and cheese, salt pepper ketchup is a New Jersey Favorite! And you are right, I cannot fathom how bad it is for me, but it is so good!

Also known as "taylor ham".

I think they make the good stuff right in Trenton, no?

I go pork roll and cheese with mustard, ketchup, pepper on toasted roll.

Back