New Informal Survey: Ribs, Wet or Dry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I love them done on the rotisserie with just olive oil, lemon, and herbs de provence....!

Otherwise, I like 'em wet AND dry.

Damp? I cook them dry, but serve with sauce on the side (and I usually put a little sauce on mine, but I don't drown them like some people do).

This is a big debate in my house and I still don't think we've made up our minds yet. I think my wife prefers wet ribs, while I like them dry. But we both like a sauce on the side to dip into when we feel like it so I guess it just depends on my mood.

Did anyone see the show with Bobby Flay last night on the Food Network? It was called "Barbecue Fueds"

It was a great episode!

Gas vs. Charcoal
Wet vs. Dry
K.C. vs. Memphis vs Texas

Anyway, one story was about the Neely Brothers...Wet vs. Dry Ribs!

Personally, I can't decide....I love them both! I think it has something to do with the phases of the moon...LOL I would have to think Dry with a Side (Sauce) is my choice. Boy talking about "riding" the fence...I should be in politics.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_28219,00.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_28220,00.html

15 min before pulling them off I like to lightly coat each side and let it carmelize a little...just to give the hint of sauce and if some want more than we put it in a squeeze bottle and let them go fo it!!

Dry, with sauce on the side, or lightly sauced.

I have to tell you, every time I see that Chili's (or is it Applebee's) ad with the ribs leaping through the sauce, and having gallons of sauce poured over these poor ribs, I get sick to my stomach. Why even take the time to cook decent ribs if all you're going to taste is sauce? But I guess that's the point.

Personal preference at home is dry with sauce on the side for those who so desire.

For competition judging, a very thin glaze of sauce.

Looks like I might be in the minority, but I've always preferred Wet and Sticky, Sweet and Spicy... I baste a homemade blend about every 15 minutes for the last 60-90, both sides... then I often have just a more on the side...

At times, I wish I owned stock in the company that makes those little "Wet-Nap" Packets...

Wade

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Art B:
Dry, with sauce on the side, or lightly sauced.

I have to tell you, every time I see that Chili's (or is it Applebee's) ad with the ribs leaping through the sauce, and having gallons of sauce poured over these poor ribs, I get sick to my stomach. Why even take the time to cook decent ribs if all you're going to taste is sauce? But I guess that's the point. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Art - they do that to cover up the awful taste.

I've never enjoyed dry at a restaurant. Usually they put too much rub on them before serving, making the whole thing dry and salty. My own ribs, I'd never consider using sauce. In fact, when I last cooked up 4 full slabs, 8 people gorged on them and it wasn't until the end that one noticed there wasn't any bbq sauce on the table.

I lightly coat both sides of the rib with a brush half hour before pulling them, this carmelizes the sauce. Then pull the water pan and give them 5 minutes each side over the direct heat. Seems to work well for me...kind of an in between wet and dry..

Count me in as another "damp" vote. Robert prefers them completely dry as long as I'm using Blues Rub run, but I'll usually cut some Blues Hog sweet sauce or Head Country about 50/50 with apple or pineapple juice, and give 'em a quick paint job toward the end of cooking. Just enough to put a hint of the sauce's sweet/spicy flavor on 'em, but not enough that the ribs actually stay "wet".

Personally, I take it as a great compliment if I offer several sauces on the table, and nobody ever bothers to get any.
icon_smile.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back