New HM build, first cook under belt, questions

ChrisMueller

TVWBB Member
Hi all. As the subject says, I got my heatermeter 4.2.4 built last week and over the weekend used a sale on pork butt's at Sam's Club as an excuse to test out the operations of this thing. I don't have a case built for it yet, and I built a connection to my green egg bottom vent using a copper plate and 3/4" copper tube soldered together with the fan attached at the end. Everything worked as well as my old pitmasteriq and I'm thrilled with this project. It is exactly what I wanted in a BBQ controller/temp monitor. So thank you to Bryan and everyone else that helps make this project as awesome as it is.

questions:

1) my pit probes seem to read about 3 degrees lower than what I believe to be correct. For example I had my thermostat in the house set to 71, and my heatermeter plugged in on my living room coffee table last night. The thermocouple probe said it was 68.4 when my Thermapen set directly next to the thermocouple read 71.8. That seemed to be about the difference when I used it on the grill also. Is this acceptable ranges for these things? Granted, a 3 degree temp difference isn't likely going to change my cook.

2) One thing I noticed is that when the fan ran to heat the pit up to the set temp, it always overshot the temp by 5 to 10 degrees before calming back down. This happened right at the beginning when I put the meat on, and again a few times during the cook. Do I need to limit my fan or something?

Otherwise I'm working on a honduran mahogany case for my HM. I'll post pictures of my setup when I have that case built.

for item 1. boil your probes, see if they get to 212, if not, not a huge deal, just use the HM app and set the offset, change it until it is dead on 212 then you should have no problems.

for item 2. can't help you, you need to mess with the PID, i am very fortunate that out of the box, my settings are dead on perfect.

Depending on the probes using, they have a +-2 error. Like what Jhalasz said put the probe tip in boiling water to check, but don't boil them though, hehe.

Back