New guy with two new to me Genesis 1000s

Travis D.H.

Hey My name is Travis, I've wanted one of these grills for a long time and about 3 weeks ago I found the redhead on the side of the road with a free sign on it SCORE! So I cleaned it upa bit and started using it, its in really good shape for its age, someday it may need new flavorizer bars but for now it works perfect.

Now just today I saw an ad on CL for a FREE "older Weber grill" which turned out to be a Green top Genesis 1000lx I believe. this one is also In pretty good shape, the burners all light up but it needs new flavorizer bars and burners and grates but the lid on the green one is perfect.

I think the plan right now is to use the redhead Which is cooking some boneless chicken breasts as a I type this, and "restore" the green one. then restore the red one down the road sometime.

anyways heres some pics these are "inbetween" pics as they were both a lot dirtier when i got them and I just did quick cleanup on the green one when i got home today.

cool handle with lights on the redhead

Inside of the green one

one ugly spot on the redhead

This forum is awesome!

BTW Loading the Green one full of rust and years of grease in to the back of my FJ80 by myself was not fun.

Also the redhead came with a weber cover thats in perfect shape and the green one came with the original manual and the weber cook book both in a nice binder.

Hi Travis,

Welcome.

Nice find on the 2 grills! Here's a suggestion for the flavorizer bars: What I do is cut 1 1/2-inch X 1/8-inch thick angle iron to length using a metal cut-off saw and replace the old ones. Works great and lasts 2 - to - 3 times longer than the OEM replacement flavorizer bars. Cheaper too. Just remember to do an initial burn off of any oils on the new metal before your first cook.

As for the cooking grates, I cut 1/2-inch square tube and weld a frame, then cut a piece of heavy gage expanded metal to size and weld that on the frame. It will last a long time also.

Good luck!

-Fred-

Back