New Guy with an old weber new to me

Reggie G

TVWBB Fan
So after being bored with the throw away grills and playing the take it back to Costco or SAMs club game I decided to go check out this 2nd hand shop in Sac I found on CL and see what they had to offer.

They had probably close to a dozen older style genesis of various styles and configurations priced from $75-$175.

I bought what turned out to be according to the serial number check on webers website a 1995 genesis 2000 lx. I'm thinking the place swapped the hood because according to the serial number mine should be black and it's red. No big deal. These guys go though and check everything make sure it works. The flavor idea bars and grates are in descent condition so for $100 I felt like I got a fair deal.

Of course on the way home the drip catch blew off so now I'll be in it another $20 unless you guys have the secret spots for parts deals.

I'll post up some pics as soon as I figure out how.

Also I took all the innards out to clean good and I have a extra part that seems to be about half the size of the burner /coking are is perforated and I can't see where the heck it goes. Or am I losing my mind and it came from another project?

Finally opinions on cooking grates best bang for you buck? I'm mostly using this to grill steaks and chicken I have a pellet smoker for the big cooks. So is stainless the way to go and I see huge price swings out there so some guidance is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Don't have a clue what "sticks" are. Best things out there are stainless grates and flavorizer bars from RCPlanebuyer on Ebay. Spendy but worth every penny

Don't have a clue what "sticks" are. Best things out there are stainless grates and flavorizer bars from RCPlanebuyer on Ebay. Spendy but worth every penny

Wow I really got beat up by the auto correct or lack there of on that post dang guess I better proof read some more

If your planning on keeping and using the Genesis for 10 years or more follow LMichaels advice and contact RCPlanebuyer. If your thinking 2 to 5 years, save the money and go with the less expensive grates. Take a look at Grill Grates, you can get them to fit your Genesis. What ever you decide, good luck and great grilling.

Bill

If you search around you can find the schematic for your grill, or Weber Customer Service will be happy to email it to you if you call.

Got to agree that RCplanebuyer has the best SS grates out there. I just helped a fellow forum member from Australia and bought some SS grates from RCplanebuyer and shipped them to Australia because he doesn't ship outside the USA. They were beautiful and really well made, great product.

If the grates and flavorizer bars are still functional you won't see much, if any, gain by replacing them with stainless parts. Grillgrates are another story, and they would give you added functionality and improvement for some cooks.

I actually cooked for the first time on her tonight did some boneless skinless thighs. I was surprised how low I had to turn the knobs it wants to cook!

Probably going to hold off on bars and grates at least this year they are good enough for now and I have cooked on much much worse for sure.

Bad thing is now I think I have a sickness that has me scouring CL looking for more of these that just need a good home

Reggie, it is an addiction for which there is NO cure. And why should there be!!

Yeah I am needing a drip pan holder for mine since it must have blown off in transport the other day so I am like thinking I may as well just buy a parts grill for what a new catch holder would cost. I can already hear my wife since she wasnt even to sure about me bringing home the 20 year old redhead to start with.

probably a good thing I am working nights right now as I have had to let a few nice ones slip away.

I am kinda thinking I might just start collecting and rehabbing for gifts in the future we have a wedding next month and teh couple is actually moving in close by and I am think a nicely refurbed weber would be a good gift.

Grilled up some elk steaks on it tonight and I am liking things so far.

Also I posted a picture of my mystery part on weber s facebook page and they told me it has no place in my grill and I am pretty sure they are right as I can not find a home for it!

Congrats on the pick up Reggie. Just found the pic you posted on FB. The other guy is right, it isn't part of your grill. As to Weber saying that your grill had a black hood originally, I finally figured out that their parts/schematics search isn't exact. For example, I put in a SN for one of my grills and it tells me it's a 271102 and brings up that schematic. But, the sticker on the grill shows it to be a 270102. That said, the parts are about 99% identical. Long story short, if the only difference between 3 models is the color of the hood, entering the SN for any of the three will bring up the exact same schematic.

Back