New Guy need help on Pork butt

G

Just started my first cook on the Bullet. Am cooking a 6.39 lb bone in butt. Started the Weber as per instructions, the Minion method. The bottom vents are open 25% top vent 100% cool water in the pan. Been 1 and 1/2 hours now the temp is at 290. Ambient temp is about 90. How do you suggest I bring down my temp? Thank you all for any help.......Perry

Perry,

Check out the "Temperature Control Troubleshooting" section of "Tips & Mods", (from the top of each page) ~ There's a wealth of information there.
icon_smile.gif

And welcome to the board!
icon_cool.gif

Welcome Perry.

Read the info at the link Bill posted. Also remember that it is easier to control temps on the way up. The vent settings Chris notes on the various recipe pages are pertinent to that particular cook only. He--and you, and the rest of us--may very well need to use different vent settings to achieve similar temps. Lots of variables are at play with every cook. However, most of us close close our vents to somewhere around 25%-35% open when the temp reaches 200 on its way up when using the Minion. (Many of us, when not using a windbreak on a day with a breeze, will close the windward vent entirely and control temps with the other two.) As you approach your target, or pass it, you can make adjustments from there, opening or closing vents slightly.

I've done many cooks with one vent closed the others at 10% and many cooks with all three open a third. Ambient temps, meat load and temp, condition of fuel--many things contribute to vent settings. After several cooks with varying conditions you'll get good at predicting where the vents need to be. Remember, too, that vent changes take some time affect your dome temp.

I agree - temps are easier to control going up, then bringing them down.

With that being stated, if you have room, add some ice cubes to the water pan. That should help out right now.

Thank's everyone, I now have the temp at 145. Pork Butt is looking good. It has been at this temp for two hours now. I am figuring about 11:00 P.M. to be ready, started at two P.M. Will put temp probe in about nine and go from there. Hey, if it's later than that one more cocktail before FTC. Once again thank's to everyone. Got to love these Weber's.

I smoked my first pork butt on Sunday and it came out GREAT! Here are the sepcs

6 pound butt, bone-in
Mustard slather and homemade sweet rub prior to placing in smoker
MM to start smoker
Hickory and Adler wood chunks
Temp averaged 250 degrees
Smoked for a total of 11 hours witht he last hour's temp dropping to between 225-250 degrees
Added wood, charcoal and water at various times throughout the process, mainly at the 1/2 way and 2/3's mark
Took off and let rest for about 20+ minutes
De-boned and pulled pork, actually it literally fell off the bone.
Ate while shredding with forks
Added vinegar based mop sauce and vacuum sealed
Yieled about 4 pounds +/-

Without a doubt, and my family attested to this, it was THE BEST pork they have ever tasted.

I hope this helps.

Back