New Guy from the Big Ole Salty 'Ham

BretBusby

I've been telling myself for the past five years (since we moved back to Birmingham) that I'm going to buy a smoker and get busy. I also said that I wanted to start homebrewing. Since we were able to change our rules, regulations and bylaws a couple of years ago to where we could have access to high gravity beer, there is too much new stuff out there to sample (some more than just sample). The next logical step was getting a smoker. I found a 18.5 WSM this past weekend on CL that had been used once and pounced on it. Since then, most of my free time has been spent on the computer researching what I need to know. This site has been wonderful. Today I purchased the charcoal, smoking wood, gloves, chimney and lastly, a Maverick 732. Looking forward to cleaning up the bullet to my liking, installing some casters and, if I get brave, cut out a notch for the 732 probes. Want to try out a butt first and have a back to school dinner for the kids.

Watch out for my stupid questions and please be patient.

Like Tony said, we're here for you Bret so don't be shy about asking questions! Welcome to "The Greatest Smoke on Earth"!

Back