New guy from Long Island, NY!

Dan Mulls

TVWBB Member
Hello all,

Cliff notes: My name is Danny and I am from Long Island, NY. I am a die-hard meat eater ;) and love anything that is grilled, fried, roasted, seared, smoked, baked or charred on a barbecue. I have a Q220 redtop, Genesis 1000 blacktop. I am so happy to be a part of this great community.

Long version of my BBQ History:

I have always wanted a Weber gasser after growing up with pos after pos of big box lava rock BBQs. I guess my parents never learned the old adage of spend once, cry once because they didnt care to spend on quality. They got used to re-buying them every two years.

After I moved out and into a rental condo, I started shopping around for my first Weber. I asked the property manager if it was ok to store an extra 20# propane tank in my private storage shed and he blind sided me by saying that I could not have a propane bbq on the property, CHARCOAL ONLY! No pressurized fuel allowed or I could be evicted for breaking my contract.

So I bought an Aussie Walk-a-bout charcoal grill with a 18.5"x18.5" chrome grate. But within a year I lost interest in cooking with it. The charcoal seemed to always be slightly damp and/or didn't stay lit properly. It was just too much to contend with when I wanted to quickly cook dinner after work.

One night my neighbor was outside cooking on a Spirit E-310 and I started asking him about the grills performance, then about our condo's propane ban. He said that he has lived there for 18 years and if they were going to evict him for cooking himself dinner then so be it. He said not to flaunt it during the day when the workers are out and about. He wheels it in/out of his storage shed every night for dinner.

I immediately went online and purchased the Weber I knew I could "hide" during the day since most of my storage shed was full of bikes, etc. A Weber Q220 redtop was on my must have list. I started with camp canisters and eventually upgraded to a hose & 20# tank. I loved the Q220's cast iron grill over the Aussie's chrome wire cooking surface. The fit and finish are superb.

Fast forward 6 years to a couple weeks ago when my boss gave me his Weber Genesis 1000 blacktop. It is missing the lower wooden slat shelf and needs a new cart frame. I am working towards a full rebuild over the next couple months. I can't wait to get out there and see what it is like to sear both sides of my steaks because I never seemed to get that from the Q220.

Happy grilling gang!

-Danny

Mike,

I have a dirty little secret...

I have been eyeballing Weber Smokey Joe Silver Charcoal grills on CL, just to have a small charcoal grill in my rotation. Maybe by the summer I will find one.

Thank you.

Back