New grilling article

how come you didnt mention the 200 coal lumps like in that maxim review article??

icon_smile.gif

all kidding aside, nice general info on bbq
icon_smile.gif

one thing, maybe you should make an article come winter about bbq in the snow and cold!! its an oft overlooked aspect of bbq. last winter i made our christmas turkey a smoked one on the wsm with snow covering the ground.

Actually, it's amazing how much difference the ambient temp can make in a long cook.
Good call on the turkey. The whole ribeye on the smoker (hot cook) is a family favorite.

just about anything you can do with your kitchen stove you can do with a wsm. altho i do not recomend frying things. i am an adventorous sort when it comes to cooking methods.

i have been looking for a way to fry things outdoors and decided the wsm might make a good source of heat for an oil based fish fry. i had taken the bottom section of my 18" wsm and lit a chimney poured on top of a second chimney worht of unlit set the grate from my 22" kettle on top and successfully fried up some catfish and carp i had caught the previous day. everything went flawless and i had a blast sitting out on my patio frying fish and eating it right there sitting in a lawn chair with a huge glass of iced tea.

a few weeks ago i decided to reprise my success when the parents where over. i decided i needed more cooking space to make french fries along with fresh caught fish so i whipped out the 22" wsm and repeated the steps. with one major flaw...

setting the grate on a 22" wsm the grate is a LOT closer to the fire and the fire gets a LOT hotter due to the fact there is more fuel exposed to burn on the 22". the result of that experiment was a a lot of ruined fish and flames shooting up in the air nearly 15 feet and having to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher. high heat and grease dont mix well.

i can highly recomend keeping an extinguisher handy and a good restraunt nearby for such disasters when experimenting.

i did have a good time with the 18" but i am not doing it again like that. i bought a coleman portable dual burner gas stove to cook fish outdoors. lesson learned.

Frying is pretty brave.
And yes, a fire extinguisher is always close by (as noted in the article).
The WSM is much more versatile than folks give it credit for, and there's much more to the grilling/smoking world than flats and butts.

Back