New Grill

Cory L.

TVWBB Member
Just picked up a Genesis LP 330. I have wanted one forever and my old grill finally rusted out so it was finally time. Love my WSM and I am looking forward to breaking this baby in tonight.

Next up will be a Weber charcoal grill. What are everyone's suggestions?

Thanks.

Cory,

I have a 22 1/2" Weber charcoal grill and it's fine, however, there have been enough times in the past few years that I wished I had more room. So depending on how many you're cooking for and how much entertaining you do that involves grilling, you might want to consider the 26" Weber if your budget can handle it.

Originally posted by george curtis:
would suggest getting a cheap 22 on craigs list and then you can see how that works out without much $$$$ outlay.

+1 to George's suggestion. If you have your heart set on a Weber kettle and you wanted to buy a new one, I would go ahead and get the One touch Gold over the silver.

Also remember, the gas grill and the charcoal grill can make a great cooking team. I often use both at once, moving food from direct grilling over charcoal, to indirect on the gasser.

You can buy many more gadgets for the 22", racks, grates, rotiserie and so on.

The CL recommendation is good. I have a 22.5 otg and need a bit more space for some occasions and am looking for a 22.5 ots. I like the otg a little better than the ots because of the ease of cleaning charcoal, but the ots is cheaper.

A 26.5 would be nice, but you can get 2 of the 22.5 otg's for what you pay for the 26.5. Allot less on CL. Now if I needed the capacity of the 26.5 most of the time I would go with it though.

Please pardon my ignorance. I have a 15 yr old Weber kettle - a red head - that I am still using. I realize that the ash-removal system is pretty basic - just a shallow open pan under the kettle holes with the sliding covers. I know I will someday need to replace this kettle - what is the difference (besides cost) between my kettle, a OTG, and a performer? It's my impression that the performer has side tables, but is there anything else involved?

I appreciate your response. Peter

OTG = ash catcher bucket, hinged cooking grates and stainless steel one-touch ash sweepers.

Performer = same as above plus kettle is mounted on a cart with a large side table, lid holder, thermometer mounted on the lid, large shelf underneath, bucket to hold a bag of charcoal, 2 briquet holders for indirect cooking, gas assist to start the charcoal lighting process & hooks on the table to hold tongs, etc.

I own a 22.5" ots, 26.75" otg and a performer. The performer is my favorite of the bunch. A little pricey but worth every penny.

I thoroughly agree with the positive statements about the Performer. I bought the OTG 22.5". by the time I added a table, the side baskets, etc I had about as much money in my OTG and still didn't have a Performer. "If I had only known..."

Dale53

Mike & Robert - Thanks for the feedback.
Seems my old kettle is only lacking the ash catcher bucket, mine just has an open dish which I don't like because it always falls out of place if I move the grill. I'd like to start thinking about a performer but the red-head just won't give up the ghost.

Sorry to high-jack the thread. Peter

Get the Performer and NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

look back.

icon_biggrin.gif

+1

I have a OTS and a Performer, and I almost feel bad for my trusty OTS as it just sits there. The Performer is my go-to grill. The only time I use the OTS is if I have too much food for the Performer.
Get the Performer and NEVERRRRRRRRRRR look back!!
icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by PeteH:
I'd like to start thinking about a performer but the red-head just won't give up the ghost.
Does it NEED to?

I have a WSM, and a gasser at camp. I've recently added a Performer. The little-lady just doesn't get why I 'needed' it.

And then I charcoal grilled some steaks and baby-taters this weekend....

Originally posted by PeteH:
Please pardon my ignorance. I have a 15 yr old Weber kettle - a red head - that I am still using. I realize that the ash-removal system is pretty basic - just a shallow open pan under the kettle holes with the sliding covers. I know I will someday need to replace this kettle - what is the difference (besides cost) between my kettle, a OTG, and a performer? It's my impression that the performer has side tables, but is there anything else involved?

I appreciate your response. Peter

Peter;

Start watching CL for your deal on a Performer in your area good deals have popped up quit often in the last few months at less than half the price of a new one with little clean up to be able to start cooking.
Kevin

Back