New gear day!

Drew

TVWBB Member
New gear day! Finally after months of searching found the clones of my Genesis Silver C’s original grates! (wasn’t a fan of Webers replacement wide grates) also found as close as I could to the original 7542 griddle accessory! Can’t wait to break these in.

Attachments

• 1B1B31D4-8CDA-479D-8D46-14820A9609FD.jpeg
    1B1B31D4-8CDA-479D-8D46-14820A9609FD.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 21
  • A28A0735-87D4-41A3-A444-7DD1F108331D.jpeg
    A28A0735-87D4-41A3-A444-7DD1F108331D.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 21
Drew,
Those grates (and griddle) look really nice. Where did you get them? I have kept a couple sets of redeemable early Weber OEM cast iron made in the good old days before they started coating with porcelain. The newer ones looked nice for a few months before the porcelain started chipping off into your food:sick:. I am always on the lookout for more of these, but they are getting harder to find. The ones you just got look like a close substitute.

The old Weber grates, if not rusted deeply, restore very nicely. You can tell if you have the real deal by the US Patent engraving.

Cast Iron Restoration.jpeg

Weber Uncoated Cast Iron with Patent.jpeg

Cast Iron Restored in Skyline Grill.jpeg

Drew,
Those grates (and griddle) look really nice. Where did you get them? I have kept a couple sets of redeemable early Weber OEM cast iron made in the good old days before they started coating with porcelain. The newer ones looked nice for a few months before the porcelain started chipping off into your food:sick:. I am always on the lookout for more of these, but they are getting harder to find. The ones you just got look like a close substitute.

The old Weber grates, if not rusted deeply, restore very nicely. You can tell if you have the real deal by the US Patent engraving.

View attachment 68085

View attachment 68086

View attachment 68087
Jon agreed! I wish i was able to restore the original grates but the chipping is too bad and I don’t think it can be repaired/saved. I will say though the original grates lasted 18 years. They seemed to have the porcelain enamel coat or whatever made them shine/smooth which the ones I bought do not. Here is the amazon link for the grates I purchased. Not a bad price at all but they are a anugger fit then I expected.

KITCHEN BASICS 101 Enameled Cast... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0876G6KGJ/?tag=tvwb-20

Grill Valueparts 17.5 Grill... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088NBHXQ8/?tag=tvwb-20

Attachments

• 7DEBC830-CF70-4D9B-BB2E-42783F73F9E3.jpeg
    7DEBC830-CF70-4D9B-BB2E-42783F73F9E3.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
…Here is the amazon link for the grates I purchased. Not a bad price at all but they are a snugger fit then I expected.
Tight fit is a lot better than grates that slide around, a not uncommon problem with some aftermarket options.

Thanks for sharing those links!

Tight fit is a lot better than grates that slide around, a not uncommon problem with some aftermarket options.

Thanks for sharing those links!
The sliding around is why I hated Webers recommended “replacement grates” the gaps between the grates and cookbox was dramatic.

I thought the idea was to have grates without the porcelain enamel.
I wanted a set of grate’s that had only one below cross bar like the original instead of the double bars like current grates.I love the porcelain enamel

Yes, still using an old Genesis 1000 grill but I did switch the cast iron grates out for the Weber stamped stainless steel ones several years back.

I wanted a set of grate’s that had only one below cross bar like the original instead of the double bars like current grates.I love the porcelain enamel
When Weber first made porcelain-coated cast iron, they used a shiny black coating that did not last at all. I went through several sets of these. I suppose with a LOT of work I could have scraped off the rest of the porcelain and turned them into uncoated cast iron like the originals that I love so much.

More recently, Weber and other makers seem to be using a different process where the porcelain coating is rough and matte. These grates last longer and are probably a good compromise.

Admittedly, the raw cast iron grates take a good deal of work to keep seasoned, but there is something special about them. That's true to me personally, even though really thick, quality stainless grates work just as well with a lot less work.

Back