New Firmware Version Released - v4054

I picked up some Pit Boss competition pellets from Lowes on the way home tonight. Did not see any Weber pellets. Are the Pit boss ones any good? Should I return them? I know nothing about pellets, which is just under how much I know about charcoal. Propane is so easy;-)
Load them in the hopper and burn it out. I've been using Pit Boss pellets for years and Lowe's always has them in stock. They are popular with many Smokefire owners because they do a good job. Some folks will disagree with me but that's OK. Joe, did he register it with Weber?

Last edited:
I do not understand your comments about the lack of a rotisserie as a deal breaker. A rotisserie is to compensate for a direct heat source. The SmokeFire is not a direct heat source. It is a forced air convection oven (at lower temps). Yes, it is closer to direct heat at high temps but generally you do not use the SF for long times at high temp.

If you go back to the original quote, the author was complaining the the Smoke Fire does not have a rotisserie and I was trying to indicate that the Smoke Fire is generally not used to cook using direct heat, except when a high temp sear is done. A rotisserie is a compensation of a high temp direct heat source and works fine for that condition, which is totally different from a Smoke Fire.

Spatchcock a bird, dry brine, smear herb butter on and under the skin, cook in Smokefire at 400 for about an hour and it tastes just like rotisserie chicken. You don’t need a rotisserie.

I picked up some Pit Boss competition pellets from Lowes on the way home tonight. Did not see any Weber pellets. Are the Pit boss ones any good? Should I return them? I know nothing about pellets, which is just under how much I know about charcoal. Propane is so easy;-)
"Propane is so easy" That's why it's So basic and Everyone does it. The best taste takes Planning, patience and Practice. I'm not a Pellet brand expert but I think you'll be fine with Pit Boss Pellets.

IT DOES NOT MATTER. BUY IT!!!

You can figure all that out later. Weber will send you the new parts.
Since this is the posting that you guys convinced me to buy it in, I wanted to thank you. It was a fun experiment. I did cook a nice brisket, but decided pellets are better for littler boxes;-) I am thanking you because even though I found it frustrating, it was fun, and I did make $150 off the grill. Now on to more adventures with my WSM that has been waiting patiently for me to return to her.

Since this is the posting that you guys convinced me to buy it in, I wanted to thank you. It was a fun experiment. I did cook a nice brisket, but decided pellets are better for littler boxes;-) I am thanking you because even though I found it frustrating, it was fun, and I did make $150 off the grill. Now on to more adventures with my WSM that has been waiting patiently for me to return to her.
Glad you had fun. You would be well served if you learned to control temps manually on the WSM. You can bring on the ATC you picked up after you get a feel for the cooker.

Glad you had fun. You would be well served if you learned to control temps manually on the WSM. You can bring on the ATC you picked up after you get a feel for the cooker.
Lew - The funny thing is that the one and only time I got to use the WSM, I found it much easier to control the temps than the SmokeFire;-) I got the WSM setup up at 225 and it barely moved 5 degrees for 4 hours until I had to stir the charcoal. When I used the same remote thermometer to check what the SF was doing, it was all over the place, even though the SF told me it was rock solid at the temp I set. I did share some of the brisket I cooked on the SF with the guy that purchased it, as it was that good.

Well I am glad that you got out of it profitably and had the experience of actually USING a SmokeFire. I sure would like to do that. But, to commit to buying a second smaller pellet grill, I am not sure I wouldn't be better off with the Recteq Bullseye for $399. Much easier to use for quick cooks. Maybe someday...

Joe, I am just sorry you had a bad overall experience with pellet grills. I LOVE my full-size Recteq. It pushed aside my Big Green Egg (since sold) as it made doing bbq a LOT easier with much less of my time required. I have been personally very happy with my results, as well. I have a collection of pellets I still want to try, so I consider myself yet a newbie. However, if I could only have two grills, it would be a pellet grill and a good gas grill. (Don't even think of asking me what I would do if I could only have ONE grill:D!)

Well I am glad that you got out of it profitably and had the experience of actually USING a SmokeFire. I sure would like to do that. But, to commit to buying a second smaller pellet grill, I am not sure I wouldn't be better off with the Recteq Bullseye for $399. Much easier to use for quick cooks. Maybe someday...

Joe, I am just sorry you had a bad overall experience with pellet grills. I LOVE my full-size Recteq. It pushed aside my Big Green Egg (since sold) as it made doing bbq a LOT easier with much less of my time required. I have been personally very happy with my results, as well. I have a collection of pellets I still want to try, so I consider myself yet a newbie. However, if I could only have two grills, it would be a pellet grill and a good gas grill. (Don't even think of asking me what I would do if I could only have ONE grill:D!)
Thanks for the support. In the 2 weeks I owned it I can't tell you how many of those little pellets I have had to clean up around my garage. They escape when I put them in, they escape when I emptied the hopper, they escaped when I cleaned the grill, they escaped when I just opened the bag..... I think if Masterbuilt ever improved the quality of their gravity fed charcoal smoker it could be the ONE. I am always looking for a deal on one of those to try. I almost had a 1050 for $300! I am really saddened that Weber is not innovating in many areas. They should be building a gravity feed charcoal grill, thermostatically controlled gas grills, adding IR sear burners and rotisserie burners for their N/S Genesis grills IMHO;-)

Jon, if you're ever in the Orlando area just give me a heads up and you can cook on my EX6. I'll supply the pellets and meat.
Maybe someday I can take you up on that, Lew! I didn't realize you were from central Florida. I graduated from Stetson University in Deland.

Back