New Cookbox

Dave S Iowa

Hello, I have 2005 Weber Genesis Silver A and the burner assembly rusted apart (the crossover tube). I order a replacement and in removing the burner assembly from the cookbox I noticed a hole in the cookbox itself. I have a huge area of corrosion in the bolt that attaches the cookbox to the frame, there's no frame left in the bolt area and it's literally crumbling apart. I thought my grill was shot and I was gonna have to buy a new grill. I discovered this site and became interested in rehabbing my grill. One good thing I found is that my cookbox is covered under warranty so Weber sent me a new cookbox. One thing I noticed said over and over in this forum is not to paint the inside of your cookbox or lid. The new cookbox weber sent me is painted on the outside only but there are some areas on the inside that look like they have paint on them, on the edges of the cookbox for instance. But it definitely appears that there would be some exposed paint on the inside of the cookbox exposed to the high heat inside of the grill. When it comes from the factory is this actually paint? Would this be something I should try to fix before grilling with it?

Thanks,
David

David, I am not sure exactly what Weber uses on their fire boxes. It isn't your standard BBQ high heat paint, but something much more durable. I would not be worried about a small amount of over spray inside the cook box. That is pretty common on their grills. I would fix the rest of the grill, put it back together and fire it up and do a burn in for at least a half hour or longer on high. That would burn off any contaminants that you would need to worry about. If you are really concerned, contact Weber customer service and see what they say. But I am sure they will tell you it is not a problem.

If your frame is in bad shape where the bolt attaches the cook box, you should either replace that cross member or find a donor grill that has a decent frame. They pop up fairly regular on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for anywhere from free to $50. If you are near a metro area (unlikely in Iowa) you will see more of these listings for grills.
Any Silver B grill should work fine as a donor grill and they are pretty plentiful.

That looks like a viable repair. Just make sure you rust protect where the cross member is fastened to the frame. You could also buy a piece of square stock and buy the end cap nuts that slip into them and replace the rusted part with it. It would look almost completely original that way. I don't think it would cost much more either.

There are a couple of threads on making that repair and I am sure someone has them already bookmarked and will post them up for you.

Good luck and post us some pictures as the restore progresses.

Back