New Coffee Grinder experiment

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
I've been using this Delonghi Ariete grinder I bought new on eBay about two years ago. It is excellent at grind consistency for drip brewing with the Moccamaster but it is a bit messier than our Baratza Encore in our main house...albeit faster and quieter. I was hoping to find one that wasn't quite as messy but didn't want to spend the $$ for another Baratza Encore. I looked at dozens of Amazon offerings and the design of this one was very interesting:ariete-grinder-pro-3017.jpg20230511_064028.jpg20230511_064007_HDR.jpg81yrepDdufL.jpg
So far, the new Mueller is noisier and no less messy than the Ariete but does an equally excellent job at consistent grinding. The Ariete is a spare and so is this Krups I bought 5 years ago.

The OXO I bought seems to do a decent job. A tiny bit messy but not as much so as the KitchenAid I just sold. I can't help but wonder if so many grinders have static issues because of the high speed they run at. I have been contemplating buying a KitchenAid grain mill and using it for coffee. This way I could run it way slow. Plus it's all metal. Idea would be any possible static would bleed off.

The OXO I bought seems to do a decent job. A tiny bit messy but not as much so as the KitchenAid I just sold. I can't help but wonder if so many grinders have static issues because of the high speed they run at. I have been contemplating buying a KitchenAid grain mill and using it for coffee. This way I could run it way slow. Plus it's all metal. Idea would be any possible static would bleed off.
I was hoping the direct drop design of this Mueller would minimize the static residual grinds...maybe a few wacks with my hand once the grinding is finished. I could eliminate a bit with a wider container or perhaps a metal or glass one. Also, the wet spoon trick of stirring the beans in the hopper doesn't work so well because the hopper is wide and shallow, not funnel shaped like the others.

Yeah the wet spoon trick did not work with my KitchenAid, I even tried a spritzer. No help.
I'm convinced that the static issue is a combination of several things, the machine itself ie...design, materials, motor, torque, individual home environments ie...temp.,humidity. Otherwise, the wet spoon, spritz, wet paper towel tricks would work universally for everyone, everywhere...and they just don't. It will remain a coffee lovers enigma 😉

Well the Mueller grinder has been replaced by the Delonghi Ariete. I thought it's straight drop design would make it less messy but simply not the case. I did modify the Ariete by cutting the silicone rubber collar that snugs in the grounds bin. So far, much better.

Back