New Build - Flashing Lights

Dan_Strang

Dear HM Enthusiasts,

I recently completed building my new HM v4.3 build, with rpi 3 model B and thermocouple.
I've connected it to a 5V 2.1A power source I found lying around the house.
Then applied the image file (heatermeter-bcm2709-stable_14) and got a weird result.
The small rPi LEDS light up (solid and flashing) like it is processing the image file. The screen backlight lights up and all LEDS (green, yellow, and red).
The LEDS begin flashing after a few seconds, then the screen flashes weird symbols across the screen, see link below:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bBr5uKZVWhJpu9ge6
Nothing changes after 5 minutes left on the power source.

I've reimaged several times, and have tried the heatermeter-bcm2709-snapshot file. All images are with the HM default wifi settings.

Any ideas?
Should I be brave and plug in the 12V power supply?

Thanks

Have you flashed the AVR? There are 2 separate systems that work together with separate firmware. Try to connect to the RPi via the network and then flash the AVR under Configuration/Linkmeter/AVR Firmware.

Hi RJ, I have attempted to flash/upload the image via the SD card. I'm not sure if that's what you mean.
Sorry my understanding of the jargon is very basic.

I'll try access the rpi and find the configuration. I'm not entirely sure how to do that. Is there a link somewhere that explains flashing the AVR?

Thanks

There are 2 'computers' that work together to make this happen. The RPi runs the network and web interface and the AVR runs the temp control and LCD screen. First step is to connect to the RPi over the network, once you do that, flashing the AVR is very simple. Did you follow the instructions here and create a custom image with the wireless settings built in?

I followed the instructions to the letter.
I've also subbed in a new SD card with the default wireless settings. I've also created a custom image with my wifi settings.
I still get the same result (flashy lights and weird symbols on the LCD screen)

I'm going to try connect to the rpi with an ethernet cable, just need to find a PC with an ethernet port.

Thanks

If the AVR didn't auto-flash then something is probably wrong somewhere. I would use the image creator with per-entered wireless credentials and get access to the web interface first.

Having just done this, here was my bone head move. I didn’t unzip the files before flashing them to the SD card. I also downloaded the wrong version more than once. (B+, A, zero, etc. etc. )

Hi Andrew,
Are you saying you downloaded the zip file, unpacked it, then uploaded the contents to the SD card for imaging the AVR?

I've been trying the image file that downloads when I hit the download button on the downloads page.

I'll keep trying the different files, to rule them out. I have a rpi 3B, not sure if that's treated as a rpi 3 or rpi B, there are different configuration files for each.

Thanks

Correct. Download the zip file to your desk top. Make a new folder on the desk top and unzip ( un-pack) it to the new folder. Use the file in the new folder to flash onto the sd card.
You are also using Win Disk or something to flash the SD card, and not just saving the file?

When you download a preconfigured image, you don't get a zip file you just get the img file (technically, the unzipping is handled by the browser in transit instead of making you do it manually). The AVR firmware will always auto-flash, there's no need to install it separately.

I would not try the 12V power supply until you resolve your issue, because something is wrong and it is pointing to hardware at this point. No need to add another variable into the equation. You were correct in the first post that you should be using the bcm2709 for your Pi 3B, which is a "Pi 2 / 3 / 3A+ / 3B+", not a "B" which is the original Pi.

When you power up the Pi with the HeaterMeter image on it, you should see a power LED come on, then the activity LED will blink like crazy as it loads the kernel, then it will become a fast steady blink (preinit stage), then a slow steady blink (services starting), then the LED will go steady staying either off or on. At this point the Pi is fully booted. If no HeaterMeter board is detected within about 10 seconds of this point, the services will attempt to autoflash the AVR firmware. When this completes in 3 seconds, you should have a fully ready to go HeaterMeter with no interaction from you. Since we didn't get there, something is definitely wrong. The HeaterMeter LEDs mean nothing until HeaterMeter is running, so disregard them.

I'd recommend connecting to the webui to make sure you've gotten that far. If you've verified that the webui is available, then you have a hardware issue, no webui software issue.

Thanks team,
The rip activity light does exactly what you said Bryan:
-power LED comes on
-activity LED blinks like crazy as it loads the kernel,
- fast steady blink (preinit stage),
-slow steady blink (services starting),
-LED goes steady on

I've tried the http://heatermeter.com/devices/ pages, 'no devices found'.
I look through my wifi for new connected devices - no dice.
I just noticed a '-' in my wifi name, so I'll change that and try again.

Thanks

I have never had any luck setting up my HM with WiFi. It’s probably me, not the programming or anything. Have you tried just plugging in a network cable? Once on line with that way, I can then set up the WiFi using the dashboard

Update:
I've removed the '-' from my wifi id
Reimaged with the new wifi SSID and password
Bingo - I have access to the heater meter via the http://heatermeter.com/devices/ page

The HM recognises my thermocouple (6.2F) and thermoworks probe (71.9F)
Looks like its functioning normally in the web portal.
However, the screen is still unchanged from the original problem - top row of black squares

Does this mean the issue is with my screen board?
Should I try the 12V power supply to test the damper or solve my screen issue first?

Thanks

Last edited:
Huh that's interesting, I'll have to set up a test wifi network to see if there's something in the configuration script that makes it bomb out with "-". Would you mind PMing me you old wifi network name (not the password, just the name), or if not, how about just how long it is?

So that's good news that the HeaterMeter is working, now you just gotta nail down the LCD issue. The most common mistake I experience is bridging two of the pins connecting the LCD to the PCB. Usually it is just as easy as looking at them really closely to see a fine wisp of solder connecting two pads. Also visually inspect the pins on the Pi connector to make sure they're not bridged as well.

HeaterMeter433LcdV.png

Go through and check each with a multimeter to make sure it isn't connected to the one next to it. All should be on different circuits except [GND and W] and [5V and B+]. If that checks out then follow the red lines and make sure each pin is connected to the chip's pins and only to that pin. If that checks out, follow the input pins on the chip back to the riser pinheader going down to the base board. If all that checks out, then the issue is likely on the base board and the LCD board is good.

All of this should run on 5V just fine, so there's no to plug in 12V, but there's a pretty good chance it won't harm anything to do so now that we know that the power circuit seems to be functional.

Back