New Blue Performer from Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Freiberger

TVWBB All-Star
Just picked up a new Performer from Craigslist. It's my first blue kettle and the first with gas assist.

I paid 40 bucks for it, but it needed a few things. I had to replace the one touch system ($12). And I always replace the cooking grate when I get a used grill ($20 for stainless steel).

It also needed a new igniter for the gas assist, but I didn't want to spring for one so I'll just use a lighter. I was able to get the 5 gallon propane tank refilled so I'm hoping that lasts me a good long time.

Bill

Congrats on the score! It seems to be in great shape. I recently got a blue Performer from craigs list as well, but it was the newer plastic model.

Are you sure you need to replace the ignitor? I thought I needed a new one too but decided to play with it before ordering one. Take the ignitor out of the tube and clean the contacts, and the tube may need a cleaning too. If they get gunked up they wont spark. I cleaned mine up and it works on first try everytime now.

Nice score. It seems like a lot of people are buying the older performers lately. I cooked on my older Red one for the first time tonight since I got it.

Wayne

The ignitor sparks, but where it connects to the gas tube is rusted and not making a good connection. I'd have to drill out the old, rusted screw and then replace those parts. I don't know if it's worth it.

Bill

gratz...I'd love that, they are $400 here though!! and I never see them on CL, kijiji etc

$50 is a steal even with your repairs

I just replaced the ignitor on my Red SS performer. It was only about $10 from Weber. My screw was also rusted in and I had to cut the head of it off. The new screw that came with the ignitor kit was too small for the existing hole so I just wired the ignitor in place and put the ground wire from the ignitor under the screw that is on the gas tube bracket. My ignitor works on the first push.

Wayne

I may be able to drill out the ignitor but I'm trying to keep costs down (so I can buy the next craigslist bargain when it comes up). I always replace the cooking grate but usually I can just fix the ash sweepers (I didn't notice how badly it had rusted and that the handle had broken off).

I never had a Performer with gas assist before, so I didn't expect the additional costs. I like to keep it on the cheap.

Bill

Just as an update, the ignitor started working the other day. I don't know what changed, but I no longer need to use a lighter to start my performer.

Bill

my igniter is rusted too but i can see a spark in the tube when i push the button. wouldnt light with the ingiter tho just with a match. i cleaned out the tube really good hoping that it will take off after reassembly. mines stripped down to the frame right now. i priced the igniter for $10 and the whole tube/igniter assembly at $20.

I LOVE my old style performer with gas assist. I use it at least three times a week and the 5# tank has not been refilled yet in about a year of use!

I let it run about three minutes then shut it off. The lump in the chimney is going good enough to dump after 15 min. I use a Weber chimney with the grate flipped upside down.

When I'm done grilling I shut the vents and then re-use the leftover charcoal the next time and add fresh to fill the chimney.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
gratz...I'd love that, they are $400 here though!! and I never see them on CL, kijiji etc

$50 is a steal even with your repairs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that.
icon_frown.gif

I'm very happy with this grill. It's become my main grill, with my Homer Simpson OTG as the second. I use the Weber Q220 when I don't feel like using charcoal. With all my grills and barbecues I hardly ever cook indoors anymore.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back