New BBQ joint coming to NYC: R.U.B. (Paul Kirk)

From the NY Post:

R.U.B

World-famous chefs come here all the time - but Paul Kirk is different. Kansas City's Kirk is a top pitmaster, with seven world barbecue championships under his belt. Next month he opens Paul Kirk's R.U.B. (Righteous Urban Barbecue) in Chelsea, where the usual suspects - brisket, pulled pork, ribs, chicken - will be on the menu, but so will a few New York twists, including pastrami and Asian-inspired duck.
208 W. 23rd St., between Sixth and Seventh avenues

Thanks, Stuart!

That's like the 5th BBQ place to open in the city in the past 18 months -- it seems that there's a trend...

Lets list the NYC BBQ places:

Virgils: Actually not bad, I like their pulled pork, and love their hush puppies with maple butter. Also like their "country greens". Good Mac n cheese also.

Daisy May's: Don't like the pulled pork, too mushy. They do have cart's around midtown that are a great idea. Never had their ribs.

Blue Smoke: never been

Dinosaur BBQ: never been

I live in central NJ (work in NYC), where there is no authentic BBQ. Just "boil n sauce" places like Big Ed's, which have their place, but aren't real Q.

Anyplace I'm missing ?

yeah... virgil's is ok for pulled pork. Don't like their ribs or brisket at all.

only had the chili at daisy mae's carts on 6th ave in midtown. it was ok, but for $7 for a cup, ... I need to try the ribs and pulled pork. Need to get to blue smoke and dinosaur.

Also want to try a couple of new bbq places up in westchester co. heard a few are good...

Then if you go just a few more miles, you get to my house. that's where you get meat cooked over real smoke.

Walking through Times Square, luckily stumbled upon Virgil's on election night, 2004 while in NYC on business. Sat at the bar and had some just so-so bbq compared to KC and Omaha. They were packed, however, so perhaps that is the best they get there. Have good memories of the place though. Met the only other two Bush supporters in NYC and we hooped and hollered as the results came in and eventually closed the place.

Dinosaur BBQ started Upstate, in Syracuse, and expanded to Rochester maybe eight years ago. Here in Rochester, there's always a wait and it's always packed. Same in Syracuse, from what I've heard. Very good BBQ for the North. You can buy their BBQ sauce in quite a few stores and they have a cook book with great ideas and is a hoot to read as well.

'Course, I think my ribs are better...

Alan
"Vegetables aren't food! Vegetables are what food eats!"

Stuart, there's also Pearson's (both in Queens and the UES), and Spanky's which just opened on 43rd street.

Pearson's is known for its brisket, but I don't have much of a frame of reference for that stuff. It was good, though, the couple of times I went.

Spanky's was actually pretty solid. Like Virgil's it's a place mainly dedicated to tourists (which usually means the food is subpar), but it held it's own pretty well the one time I was there.

Blue Smoke had some troubles with their 'Q initially (which is when I went), but it is said that they have fixed things up a bit. Their sides were out-freakin'-reageous.

I must respectfully disagree on Daisy May's pulled pork. I think they do a nice job there. Don't think much of their brisket sandwiches (but then, as I mentioned, I have no frame of reference -- I'm like a child, wandering into the middle of a movie...)

And I'm waiting for one of you folks to try out Dinosaur. The reviews I've read have been mixed at best.

There's other stuff that is less good -- the Hog Pit, for one, and Rodeo Bar.

And soul food places will serve ribs, but really it's a different animal, so to speak. Absolutely the right thing to do now and again, but I'm not sure it matches what folks on this board consider to be Q.

Finally Art, I believe that there are only two restricted subjects on these boards -- religion and politics. I like your name, though.

Art B,

I'm actually flabergasted I never knew about Spanky's, thats about 100 yards from where I work (not to mention, around the corner from Virgils).

Thank you, I will have to check it out.

I am also very curious to try Blue Smoke.

well if he is opening a joint in NYC that means one of his classes will be coming to the metro area....YEs!!!!

ill have to stop by and say Mazel Tov on his new store.....

take care

Make sure that you know the hours before you head up there. I was in NYC and wanted to head over there around 3 PM on a Sunday and was disappointed to see that it was closed until 6 PM. I had to settle for Dallas Barbecue, which for tourists may be cool, but not for a purist.

Just saw this in a recent newspaper:

"Keith Bulluck, a BBQ-lovin Tennesee Titans linebacker, is a partner in "Smoked", 103 2nd Ave (Fifth st) where the food is the work of Kenneth Collins, formerly the chef and an owner of Ida Mae. Mr. Collins emphasizes grilled items (shrimp, sausage) and smoked BBQ (baby backs, brisket, turkey legs) 212-388-0388

Ok, I know I'm waking up a very old thread here, but after five years I finally made my way to this restaurant. They just opened one in Baltimore, MD.

I'm trying to be as discreet as possible when I say this, but I was SEVERELY disappointed. Paul Kirk needs to make a site visit here in a hurry. The ribs I got were gray and lifeless. Oddly enough, there was no R.U.B. in site. They were very obviously parboiled, but even then no kind of seasoning stuck to the meat whatsover. It was literally the boiled rib joint of boiled ribs.

I had to try it just to say I had an off-shoot of something Paul would sponsor, but wow! This further emphasizes to me that I need to just save my money and cook something that appeals to me and the whole family. It was supposed to be a date night and my wife almost slapped me.

Stuart, thanks for the info. Try Blue Smoke and Dinosaur. Blue is a great place to bring friends. Great interior and jazz downstairs. The food is great, but a little sanitized. Dinosaur is down and dirty. I like their ribs and brisket. Good sides and don't miss the desserts.

Back