New BBQ "Cook" Questions

Joe Hugh

Hello all,

New Performer user (new to me at least) with a few questions. I've BBQ'ed in the past and I tend to just dump a bunch of coals in a mound and throw burgers on the grill. As I like "well done" burgers, I always seem to nuke the meat. I used my Performer for the first time last night and did the same. I think I use too much coal and my grill is too hot. The burgers were dry with no juice. So:

1. What is an average amount of charcoal to use for a Performer grill?
2. How long until I place food on the grill - white coals etc?
3. How long should and average burger be on the grill?
4. Is there a "goal temp" to hit and do I cook with the hood on or off? If so, for how long? I can hit 500 deg in seconds when I place the lid on.

Thanks all.

The amount of charcoal will depend on how many burgers you're going to cook. If I'm just cooking for my immediate family (usually 5 or 6 burgers, which are all cooked at the same time), I'll usually use between 1/2 and 3/4 chimney in my 22" kettle. I like to use a 2-zone method where I give them a fairly quick sear over the coals, them move them to the opposite side of the grill and close the lid to cook them through. I find this method takes a little longer than grilling directly over the coals, but is less prone to creating hockey pucks if you wait a few minutes too long to take them off.

Thanks Steve. I lost my "chimney" so will have to pick up a new one. I'm guessing I placed at least a chimney full last night. Seems like I'm overdoing it.

Could also depend on your meat/fat ratio of the burgers. If you have 93/7 for instance, good chance it dries out as there isn't much fat in it. I like 80/20 for my burgers.

Thanks all - we cooked some Chicken/Feta sausages as described by Steve. I let them "burn" for a minute or two and then let them sit on the side, covered, for 10 mins. Probably one of the best sausages I've eaten. Grilled but juicy. :)

+1 for what Bry said, I use Julia Child's ratio too 80/20 works well! Also try the dimple in the center of the patty technique.
So you made a few shingles, there's plenty of burger to learn with!

Thanks all - we cooked some Chicken/Feta sausages as described by Steve. I let them "burn" for a minute or two and then let them sit on the side, covered, for 10 mins. Probably one of the best sausages I've eaten. Grilled but juicy. :)

Two-zone cooking is definitely the way to go. You need some part of the grill grate that doesn't have hot coals underneath it. Most folks do half-and-half, some bank it to both sides and leave the middle open (which is easier if you have the baskets or rails to hold the charcoal), but whatever you do, you need a "cooler" spot on the grill.

Also, dry burgers could have been overdone (if the outside was charred, that's the most likely culprit) or too low a fat-to-lean ratio (if you're making your own patties; most pre-formed burgers are at least 80/20, sometimes 70/30). To avoid overcooking, just give them a good sear, then move to the "cool" zone until they're done to your liking. If you have an instant-read thermometer, you'll want about 130 for rare, 150 for medium, and 170+ for well. To me, cooking burgers beyond medium should be a capital crime, but to each his or her own. My wife won't eat red meat that's even close to pink, so her burgers nearly approach hockey puck status.

For hamburgers I do direct cook, use 1 full chimney. I dump the coals in when the flames or white ash is reaching the top of the chimney, after the dump let it breath for 10 minutes without the lid and put the burgers. About 3 minutes a side of course depending on thickness. I start the cook with lid off and use the lid to control flare ups and provide more smoky flavor. Good luck on future cooks and how do you loss a chimney ? :)

For hamburgers I do direct cook, use 1 full chimney. I dump the coals in when the flames or white ash is reaching the top of the chimney, after the dump let it breath for 10 minutes without the lid and put the burgers. About 3 minutes a side of course depending on thickness. I start the cook with lid off and use the lid to control flare ups and provide more smoky flavor. Good luck on future cooks and how do you loss a chimney ? :)

This is something I've been doing more of with burgers. Let the grease drips flame up a bit and provide a nice sear before moving them to the other side and putting the lid on.

Thanks all. We had burgers yesterday - 80/20. I used my new fathers Day gift of weber coal baskets to keep the heat in one spot. I let the coals get good and hot and "flash grilled" the burgers for 2 mins. I then moved the burgers away from the hot spot. 10 mins after we ate the best, juicy burgers, we have ever had. :)

Thanks all. Its "easy" when you know how. :)

Good to hear Joe, it will become second nature by the end of the summer, just remember what you learn and build on that.
Full disclosure, I grill year round. Hey, it's covered!

Back