New basting brush - good for BBQ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Requires registration and login.
icon_frown.gif

Those silicone brushes are supposed to be "the stuff" (if you listen to all the cooks catalogs), but I haven't tried one. Like to see what Cooks Illustrated would have to say about them. The clean up would probably be better than a "natural" bristle brush.

Didn't look like you were getting a good price. Only saving a penny from retail. I've seen them in Marshalls stores for around $7 with a stainless steel handle.

I have a Sili Gourmet silicone BBQ brush, and it works OK. I like the way it cleans up and doesn't hold stuff between bristles after cleaning like other brushes.

Cook's Illustrated July/Aug 2004, did a brief review of brushes, and preferred boar's hair bristle overall. The silicone bristle brushes were described as non-absorbent and overly flexible. "We had to scoop up egg wash and oil when using it."

Regards,
Chris

I like how this brush is supposed to work: squeeze the squid handle to suck up the sauce/juices, then paint them on without having to keep dipping back into the sauce bowl. It just seems like it would be a pain to clean effectively.

Kevin

I can buy a lot of paint brushes for $10. I use them all the time for basting and after a few uses, I throw them away.

Nick P.

I'll have to agree with Chris. I have several silicon brushes and they are ok for thick sauces, but not good for mops or thin sauces. You'll still need some pastry brushes or the like for thinner sauces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back