New and would respectfully request advice!

Keith Pietranczyk

TVWBB Member
So I'm going to do my first smoke this Sunday for the fourth and anticipate having about 10-14 people. Not sure how much meat I'll need but I'm thinking about Brisket, Shoulder/Butt and perhaps Ribs using Apple wood or Hickory. I own the 22" WSM and do not have any probes yet, just the lid thermometer. I'll admit that I am EXTREMELY nervous about this. I have a string of what may sound like dumb questions but they are things going through my mind.

Starting
1) Everything I've read about starting the smoker and how much fuel to use is all based on the 18.5" version. Does it change for the 22"? and how much wood to use?

Cooking
1) Does it matter which grate I put the product on? I know the ribs take shorter time so I would imagine they would go on top.
2) How long should I plan the cook to take?
3) Do you think I will need to refuel? and will I need to add both (wood and briquettes)?
4) How do I re-fuel/add water if necessary?

I know these questions have probably been asked a million times over, but again, I am extremely nervous and want this to go well. I sincerely appreciate everyone's time and effort to read and help a first timer out!!!

Keith, welcome to the forum and the world of the WSM and BBQ. I am no expert but have had my WSM since March and have tried to use it every weekend so FWIW.

Starting
1) Everything I've read about starting the smoker and how much fuel to use is all based on the 18.5" version. Does it change for the 22"? and how much wood to use?

I would suggest filling the coal ring pretty much to the top for each cook. Once you are done cooking,close the vents and the coals will go out and can be reused. There is some difference of opinion on reusing coals but I think the majority do reuse. Smoke wood should be used sparingly, to your taste. Start out with 2-3 small chunks and see what you think.

Cooking
1) Does it matter which grate I put the product on? I know the ribs take shorter time so I would imagine they would go on top.

Most folks use the grates according to convenience. I think that most will put prk and chicken under beef if they have a choice. There will be a slight variation in grill temp and if you are cooking say 2 brisket, one on top and one on the bottom grate you can rotate positions once or twice. If you have basting to do probably easier to have that meat on top.
2) How long should I plan the cook to take?

All depends on how high your heat is, weather conditions, amount of meat, etc. Roughly speaking for Low and Slow 225-250 about 5-6 hrs for spares, 1.5 hr/lb for brisket, 2-3 hrs for whole chicken, 1.5 hrs/lb for butt. Your times may vary. A lot of folks use higher heat and the cooking times will go down.
3) Do you think I will need to refuel? and will I need to add both (wood and briquettes)?

If you fill the ring you should get 10+ hrs. Smoke wood is too your taste but I have read that after the meat gets to about 140 internal temp it won't absorb much more if any smoke flavor.
4) How do I re-fuel/add water if necessary?
If you use water, some don't, you may have to refill on longer cooks. Refueling answered above.

The bottom line is HAVE FUN!! You can eat all your mistakes and if it gets really bad the dogs love BBQ.

Do yourself a favor and go here:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html

There is a welth of info and all of it good.

Mark

Agree with Mark.

4 - Water will last for several hours. Exactly how long just depends. To refill water, I used a heavy duty automotive funnel with a long spout like this - funnel. I fill a 1 gal plastic jug with hot water, as hot as I can stand, open the side door, slide in the funnel, pour in the water as fast as possible without spilling or splashing.

Keith, welcome to the forum.

Mark gave some great advice.

I think that you should keep it simple for your first cook, so I would just cook 1 item until you see how your cooker runs, maybe chicken which will be easy to cook and the cost is minimal.

Take a look at the link that Mark posted and read through it.

Let us know whats on the menu and ask us anything, there's no dumb questions here
icon_wink.gif

My 2 cents on the matter is this. If you have 10-14 people and are unsure the easist cook would be pork butt. Hard to mess that up. Ribs for 14 could be a bit of a handful.

I only have the 18 so I can't answer much of your questions but just use logic and don't overthink it. If you have to re-fuel just use the door and if you need more water try to add boiling water with a watering can.

I too agree with everything Mark said. However, if you are planning on cooking butt, and brisket, and ribs, I think it may be a lot to deal with on the first smoke. Pork butt is the easiest. Do a couple butts, or a butt and some ribs (butt on bottom, add ribs on top later on), or a butt and a beer can chicken or two. Keep it fun and not too much work.
I have the 22 WSM. Use the minion method and fill the ring with briquettes or lump, your choice. You can always reuse the unburnt coals on your next smoke.
Give yourself plenty of time. If the meat’s done early, foil it, wrap it in towels and put it in an old cooler. The ribs can be tossed back on the smoker for 15 minutes once everyone is ready to eat. The butt will stay hot for hours. Pull it and sauce it just before serving.
Cheers!

Not being a expert but I did sleep at Holiday Inn last night ! I just got a WSM but have been smoking on other cookers a long time ! As someone told me here DO A BUTT there bullet proof everyone a love ya and you really gotta work at it to mess up a pork butt. relax the WSM almost runs itself dude !
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Question - Shoulder (full) or Butt? I'm lucky in that my brother is a chef and has access to some awesome meat houses here in Chicago (and the cost is phenomenal), so I can get either easily. Thanks for your help all - I truly appreciate it.

Keith, I have only ever cooked the bone in butt, many times and several methods. I would stay with bone in butt. The bone is a great indicator of pull time and the meat is great!. I believe the full shoulder includes the "ham" and the Butt.

Mark

A "full" shoulder is huge and is a primal cut.

I just use butts - no skin, less fat, less bone.

Typical bone-in butt is 7~8 lbs.

If I were extremely nervous, I'd stick with butts. Save the harder cooks for when it's just immediate family and if it's bad enough it can't be eaten you can run down and buy some burgers.

If you have a lowes or home depot, run on down and pick up a digital probe. You can get one for about $20 and its a great confidence booster to know how your temp is coming along.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
I believe the full shoulder includes the "ham" and the Butt.

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a full shoulder is comprised of the picnic and butt. the ham comes from near the rear end of the pig. i think thats how it is. im still pretty new to the whole meat thing.

Back