New 18.5" WSM Owner

Hi all,

I've recently picked up a 18.5" used wsm . It's the newer model with a temp guage and plastic handles. I've started taking it apart to clean it and am curious why it has an ash pan. It seems like ash wouldn't fall into it since the vent holes are higher on the bottom section of the base.

Is there any reason for me to re install it when I put my wsm back together?

Last edited:
Yes you need to reinstall. That's a heat deflector not an ask pan. The transference of heat from the bottom of your WSM could damage the surface your WSM is on, especially a wooden deck. So please replace it and good luck and good smoking.

Thanks for the info. Makes sense now!

I'm sure I'll revisit this thread as I have questions or issues once I get cooking on it.

I may even post some pics once it's back together.

I've had my 18.5 for several years, bought it new. It didn't come with a heat shield. I usually cook on a concrete "tile" area. If I go to a competition would the lack of a shield be a problem.

I've had my 18.5 for several years, bought it new. It didn't come with a heat shield. I usually cook on a concrete "tile" area. If I go to a competition would the lack of a shield be a problem.

I cant' imagine the heat sheld effecting the cooking/temps/performance of the WSM. I believe it's there only as a safety device to protect the surface beneath the cooker. In fact up until a few years ago, WSM didn't have any heat sheilds what so ever. My 18.5 WSM doesn't have the shield.

I'm guessing the sheild was added the same time the 22.5 came out, and with a larger fire ring on the 22.5 and thusly larger fires, they found a shield was needed, and for what reason (lawyers?) they decided t make it standard on both cookers? Icna't imagine a competition not letting you cook because your older WSM doens't have a heat shield. Many folks bring thier own home made pits with them to comps, are they alll safety inspected too? ;)

Last edited:

Back