Never kebab pineapple next to meat

Skewers? forget that, such a pain. my "kebabs" are not kebabs at all because I hate using the skewer. the food always rotates on it when you try to rotate it which forces you to use 2 skewers. I just cut everything up into the size you would typically put on the skewer and cook them separately.

I've got some flat stainless steel skewers that solve that problem. But the skewers get HOT, so, you can't touch them, I flip/rotate with tongs. But the meat stays together.

They still look pretty tasty to me! But know that mushy taste pineapple gives pork and chicken too well, which is of course where it really compliments the meat.

Bright side is you have discovered the greatness that is called King Hawaiian, one of my favorites for chicken and pork. I made shish kabobs Sunday night with thick pork loin brined for an hour and a half then cut into cubes. I did put onions on with them, the squash cooks faster so did those on separate skewers and put those on after the pork had started to cook. And of course King Hawaiian with smoked bacon sauce. Same great taste as the original but with smoked bacon added.

35863323042_1c6e13a045_c.jpg

I used wooden skewers for years soaked in an old tall Tupperware container originally used to store spaghetti I believe. But I like the flat metal skewers mentioned above mine are the Weber ones and I use the rack to suspend them off the grate.

81iAJVWY0nL._SL1500_.jpg

For some things, others go on the grates depends on sauce etc. I also have a set of skinny small diameter metal ones but the food tends to rotate on those for me also much like the wooden ones, but maybe not quite so much.

Those Weber skewers look square to me. Looks like it might stop food bits from turning?

Nice presentation, Michael.

Yep Chad, that's exactly what happened but, I'm a little surprised that it happened that quickly. I have had the same thing happen when someone decided that pineapple juice would be a great marinade, almost turned the chicken to goo!
The same enzymatic thing happens with citrus and things like scallops or shrimp. Doggone it, I just finished breakfast and I want some grilled shrimp!
This site is really hard on my waistline!

That is EXACTLY the reason.. I have done this,... OJ as well.. I think its the Citrus... I get that same thing...

Back