Need Turkey Fryer/Shrimp Boil Cooker Recommendations

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
My son wants to do a Crawfish/Shrimp Boil next time he visits. I’m figuring 15 people so doing it on the stove is no longer an option.
Any recommendations for a Turkey Fryer/Shrimp Boil cooker would be appreciated.

They're not expensive and I would not waste a lot of $$$. Just be sure to get one with 4 legs not 3. I have a 3 legged one and it always gives me thw Willies

A 3 legged stand should never wobble, 3 points always define a plane. That's why milking stools have 3 legs, they don't wobble.

I have 3 stands now, 1 circular, 1 3 legged with feet, and a 4 legged. As long as I'm on a flat surface, they all work fine with a 40qt kettle and 6 gallons of water to make beer.

I would suggest a banjo burner over a venturi. Much quieter, and I think they burn more economically.

A 3 legged stand should never wobble, 3 points always define a plane. That's why milking stools have 3 legs, they don't wobble.

I have 3 stands now, 1 circular, 1 3 legged with feet, and a 4 legged. As long as I'm on a flat surface, they all work fine with a 40qt kettle and 6 gallons of water to make beer.

I would suggest a banjo burner over a venturi. Much quieter, and I think they burn more economically.
Agreed. I have one circular w/3 legs and w/4 legs. Never had an issue.

I recently picked up a LOCO turkey fryer set up for 19.99 at waldo's on clearance!!

I mainly bought it for brewing beer but now ya have me thinking about a boil this summer!!

I have 3 legged one and I have never felt safe with it. No matter how or where I placed it, it always feels unstable. Had for 20 years now.

This is a great item to score on Craigslist or Facebook MP. I bought mine cheap on CL and gave it away on FBMP years later.

Look for one with a nice big SS pot rather than aluminum. I rarely used the cooker as a turkey fryer, but the big pot was great to have for making stock, soup, and mega batches of chili.

Mine was four legs, which was very sturdy. Other than that, they are all pretty basic -- a stand, a big pot, and a propane burner.

Mine looked like this one.

Last edited:

Back