Need Super Bowl Chuck Advice

D Johnson

Hi all! Hope everyone has something cool going on for Sunday.

After what I'm calling a successful maiden voyage with my new WSM (bb ribs), it's time for my second smoke.

I have a 2.75 pound/2 inch thick boneless chuck roast I bought and froze for a Sunday French stew, but that WSM has been eyeballin' me!

I've found plenty of good threads on the forum about techniques with a chuck, but I'm a little confused because they're all a little different.

I'm planning on getting my WSM going early Sunday morning (moved chuck from freezer to fridge Thursday morning) and what I hear is that if I'm going low and slow with water in the pan, I'm looking at 2.5 to 3 hours per pound.

I'm also planning on doing an overnight rub, and giving it an hour at room temp before it goes in the smoker. I'm using briquettes until I get my sea legs, and am thinking two hunks of cherry and one mesquite.

I'd like to end up with pullable sandwich beef, so the consensus seems to be that I should aim for an internal temp of 190 to 200, then let it rest. This is where I'm not so solid on what I should do -- the rest time. Some say it should rest for a few hours, foiled in a cooler.

While it's resting, I'm going to bake some fresh sandwich rolls. If I don't go into seizures from the smell of fresh bread and barbecue it should be a good game!

Sounds good to me. But what say the bbq sensei? Any potential disasters you see here?

Thanks guys!

I'm with Bob on this one, the PSB is a can't miss recipe. I've made it +/- 10 times, and it's a huge hit every single time. It's also an incredibly simple recipe and doesn't require any babysitting, so if you've got people over or have a few beverages during the game, the meat pretty much takes care of itself.

With chuck (and everything else IMO) internal temp is of no importance. When you can stick a fork in it and twist it like spaghetti, it's done.

Thanks, Bob.

Yep, saw your recipe earlier and it definitely looks like a winner. Those photos make my mouth water every time I see them!

You don't need to twist my arm to cook with Guinness, either! I put it in my chili.

I won't be able to use the oven, so hopefully I can find the right combination on the WSM.

Thanks for weighing in. I'll be trying the Pepper Stout recipe sometime soon, for sure.

Pulled chuck is beginning to be my favorite meal on the WSM. This is how I do them and everyone (so far) has loved it.

Cut the chuck roast up into 1/4 sections. Rub with whatever you want to use - I have been using Montreal Steak seasoning lately. Put them in an aluminum pan and smoke at 280 - 300 temps (doesn't really matter) for 2-3 hours. Add a little liquid (beer, broth), add in chopped onions, green peppers and mushrooms, cover with foil and continue to cook until tender enough to pull. Don't go by the temp of the meat - once covered with foil, cook for another hour or so and check the pieces. If they pull easily - they are done. If not let it go for another 20 minutes or so and check again. Keep doing that until they are tender. After foiling, mine have generally been running another hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours until done.

When tender - reserve the liguid and pull the meat. I leave the peppers, onions and mushrooms mixed in with the meat. Defat the juice and pour some on the pulled meat. Serve on a bun with choices of sauce - #5 is good but the meat really doesn't need any sauce. Some provolove or swiss cheese slightly melted goes well with this as well. There won't be any leftovers - trust me. Just the way I have been doing it. I'm sure there are other recipes on here better but this works for me.

The first few times I made this, I simply didn't cook it long enough to get the roast tender enough to pull. Don't go by temp. Just keep checking after about an hour or so in the foil and let it cook until it is tender.

Good luck. I am sure it will turn out great.

Hey thanks, Cory.

In both yours and Bob's recipe, seems like finishing the chuck with some braising is key to getting moist results.

That #5 sauce looks good too!

Braising with the chuck is definitely one of the many ways you can take it. It's got a ton of intramuscular fat, so moistness and chuck hand in hand pretty much whatever method you choose to employ.

Right Mike, and that's my only experience with chuck. Either pot roast or stew, both super slow Dutch oven cooks.

Any advice about how much salt to use in the rub?

I've got a tablespoon of kosher and it tastes right. But undersalting beef is a bad move from my experience.

Can anyone who's smoked a chuck weigh in on this?

Thanks for all the great advice guys!

D, I use about 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal (OR 3/4 teaspoon Morton’s) kosher salt per pound of beef roast. Salt the meat (and then add other SALT-FREE seasonings), wrap tightly, and refrigerate for 6 to 24 hours for the juices and seasonings to re-absorb before smoking or roasting. Many of us here on the forums prefer salt-free seasonings so we can salt the meat appropriately and then add subtle, stronger, or in-your-face salt-free seasonings -- whichever level you'd prefer -- without oversalting the meat.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pulled chuck is beginning to be my favorite meal on the WSM. This is how I do them and everyone (so far) has loved it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with Cory on this, will be our Super Bowl meal....I'm using Penzeys Northwoods Fire and the #5....good stuff! Defatting the juice is key....Whatever you choose, you'll be fine!

Sounds like I'm in the ballpark on salt, Rita. Thanks for that tip!

That Northwoods Fire looks great, Walter. My beef rub is big on coarse pepper and salt, with granulated onion and garlic, oregano, paprika, mustard powder, and a little sugar and nutmeg.

Mike, I could smell that beef just watching the video on YooToob! Definitely have to try something like that, but I don't think my chuck roast would work so well, would it?

Thanks again for all the advice everybody, this is the best website!

D,

I've only smoked chuck roasts 2-3 times, but I learned that it has to be foiled to get to tender. If you don't foil, it will overcook before it gets to tender. The first time or two, without foiling, I had meat that tasted good, but couldn't be pulled. Then I foiled after the first hour or so, and got MUCH better results.

Gotta' foil (or braise somehow) if you want to pull it.

Hi All,

At 225-250, about how long per pound will it take? DEfinitely will make sure it is tender, but wanted to get a time estimate.

Thanks all and GO GIANTS BABEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

James Its similar to a Butt as a rough est in times. About 1-1/2-2 hrs lb. I run without water and have the WSM about 260-270, foil @ 160-165 and then take it till tender.
Good luck tomorrow on the chuck and the game!

Tim

Oops, looks like I attributed the Pepper Stout recipe to Bob, when Larry's got the copyright on it!

Thanks for weighing in, Tim.

James, I'm going with water because on my last smoke I know I had my vents pretty closed to keep my temps in that lower 220-240 range.

I'd like to try a lower temp on chuckie too, because dammit I just WANT it to take longer!

Here's my plan which I expect to laugh at on Monday:

Smoke on the low end of the temp range for an hour per pound, give or take.

Foil at 165 with a beer (and maybe some peppers & onions), then open the vents and kick on the afterburner to get some higher temps.

Let it go for another hour or so per pound until chuckie's twisty fork tender.

Then shred it (15 minutes?) and let the liquid reduce (half hour?)

So for my 2.75 pounder, I'm guessing 6 to 6.5 hours.

But like I said, I fully expect this ballpark guess to collapse and just play it by ear!

Back