Need suggestions for gross goop

Scott Smith

TVWBB Pro
Here's my predicament: I work at a school and there is a certain door that we really need the punk eight graders to not sneak through to hide and cut class or vape or go on their phones or whatever. The door is set into a large accordion door across a stage. It closes and latches, but it doesn't have a lock. Blocking the door isn't a great option for various reasons - the kids would take it as a challenge, the accordion doors sometimes open, as well as fire safety concerns. No one ever legitimately needs to go through this door.

The door is opened by pushing or pulling (depending on which side you are on) on a round plastic circle about three inches across.

After a rash of recent vandalism, including a bunch of tossed chairs and a smashed Cisco phone, I had the idea of "accidentally" applying something icky to the plastic circle you press to open the door.

The perpetrators are obviously not high-IQ individuals, so something on the doorknob might discourage them, or at least make them feel less proud of themselves. I suppose they could still push the push side with a paper cup or something, but the pulling action would be hard to do without touching the knob.

Posting here because something edible is probably best. Any thoughts or alternatives?

I don't know, I just picture you getting in trouble for doing something like that. I would think there has to be a more "official" way of dealing with a door that shouldn't be opened by the kids.

there has to be a more "official" way of dealing with a door that shouldn't be opened by the kids.
Yeah - the principal's idea was to put a fairly heavy section of chorus riser across the door. This didn't work because the accordion door is suspended from a track on top and "sways" enough to get the door open just enough to squeeze through.

If you and the principle come to a agreement on a goop application I would suggest it have a lasting color in it that would show up on the guilty party's clothes!!!
Something like hair gel mixed in with Vaseline, and a bright red food coloring .

This could be fun. Like making a rub!

My solution would be hiding and popping them with a barrage of full-auto paintball fire, complete with smoke bombs to confuse and distract the infiltrators….

But that’s me.

Goop doesn’t seem like much of a deterrent. I know exactly the kind of door you’re talking about, forget what they’re called but we had one back in the day as well. You could almost move it enough to squeeze under the dang thing. Ultimately, a couple hidden cameras and dealing with them individually with suspensions, and increased patrols, will be more effective I think.

Back