Need some Kingsford Competition advice

Howard B.

TVWBB Member
I tried it for the 1st time last night. I dumped a chimney stack in the BBQ and walked away to let it alone. I knew something was up when I came back outside. With top up and bottom vent wide open there were some high flames coming out. I put on some steaks, closed cover and had vent 1/2 open. I could not control that fire!! Bad thing was, when I closed the cover to let the meat cook and reduce the flames a billowing of smoke kept coming out. So some parts of the steak were too smokey. I think next time I will let the charcoal heat up with the cover closed and vents open, just trying to reduce the flames and ultimately the amount of smoke. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Howard

Were they completely lit before you dumped them out of the chimney? I know they get hot, but once they burn through, I haven't noticed any flames from them.

Yes, they were completely lit in the chimney. The flames really started up once placed in the grill. With fat drippimg from the steaks it got bad. Will try it again on Sunday as I'll be cooking a pork loin rib end which will require slower cooking.....will see how it goes.

Howard

this is interesting because all i've been able to notice is how hot it is for me too. Not everyone seems to experience this though. where do you live? elevation? Which grill were you using? def. don't know what to tell you but this is interesting to me.

The pork loin came out perfect. I did two things, first I mixed the Competition with the Blue and kept my vents closed more. Temps never went above 400. Middle of the charcoal area was some small, constant flames but nothing out of the usual. I'll tell ya....I love the rib end, comes out so juicy when taken off at 140 internal.

Howard

Back