Need some advice please back ribs sand water timing?

Danielle D.

Well I am competing in my very first amateur competition in a couple of weeks. I have used the WSM for the last couple of months using the water pan and spare ribs. Usually they are done at about 5 hours running at about 240-250.
Now the competition is using back ribs. I will have approx 4 hours from the time I get my ribs to the time for turn in. They will also have to be trimmed, membrane pulled and rubbed in this time as well. I am a bit concerned that the WSM with the water does not run hot enough to make the time constraints. I have been using Royal Oak lump (didn't like it) and Kingsford Briquettes (much better) plus chunks of hickory and maple. I start with a full chimney and add 3 chunks at the beginning.

So I think that if i use sand it may run a heck of a lot hotter.
I am new at this and would welcome any advice from the more experiences WSM owners.

First off, welcome to the board Danielle. Would that amateur competition happen to be in St. Catherines?
icon_smile.gif

I think that one thing that you are going to want to do is get to the site early enought and fire up your WSM and get it up to temp. Waterpan, sand or empty you should be able to get it up to temp by controlling the vents. We're probably talking about a 4-4.5 hour cook, so it'll have to be in the 250-275 range IMO. I don't like cooking that high for ribs, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'd probably go with just a foiled & 1/2 full waterpan.

Hello,

I switched ove rto sand back in the spring and haven't looked back yet. The WSM can be controlled the same with sand as it does with water. I can keep 225 degrees all night long with a pan of sand just like water. I also mostly use Kingsford with apple and cherry wood chunks. Minion method or regular starts can be controlled as easy with sand.

Randy

True. It's all about air intake. If, however, you overshoot your temps, it will usually take longer to come down if using sand (since it gets hotter than 212) instead of water (since water cannot get higher than 212).

Imo, there is no advantage to cooking ribs that low so a mid-upper 200s grate temp works for me. I use an empty pan and I use a foiling stage more often than not, to add a flavor layer and a bit of braising to the meat. If that is not disallowed it's something to consider as it also speeds the cook a bit (I don't foil all that long to 'speeds' is relative.) Returning the ribs unfoiled to the cooker after that stage sets the bark texture, firms the meat, and still offers time for a glaze should you wish one.

Whatever you decide to do, Danielle, it would be good if you have time for a few practice runs since whatever you decide will be a bit different from your current approach. Good luck with it.

Should have figured that was you Domestic
icon_wink.gif
. I'll see you in St. Kitts.

BTW, I'm kimmal from the bbqtalk forum.

LOL Hi Kimmal how are you

well I have been practicing all summer with the water pan so I was thinking I should practice with the sand to give it a go. Never done it and when I realized the time constraints at St. Kitts I was a bit concerned. I have done over 30 racks this summer and I must admit I am very pleased. Still haven't gotten around to anything but ribs and brisket I figure if I can get those to a palatable stage then chicken and shoulder should be easier.

Simcoe County Smokers are borrowing my WSM for the comp on Saturday so it will already be there. Plus the wind break i made for it.
I am however thinking of painting it give it a bit of a different look with some heat paint.

I really appreciate all of the advice given.
Krueger I think I will do a few with an empty pan as well. I am very comfortable with foiling. Seems to work well and I like the texture after I put it back on as you aadvised to firm it up. Thank you all so very much.

See you in St. Kitts Allan. :-)

Back