need rib help

J Dominianni

I am planning on doing about 6 to 8 racks of pork spareribs on the WSM 18.5. Want an excellent dry rub recipe. Any help on wood, rub and cooking times and temps is also appreciated.
Thank you and I habe the utmost respect for the knowledge on this page.
Good cooking to you all.

That sounds like a lot of ribs for an 18 1/2 WSM. I did 6 racks of back loin ribs on mine on Mother's day and I have a third grate mounted between the two standard grates. It was full!

DSC_5324-PP.JPG

(Not yet done here, but when they were done I did not stop to take pictures.
icon_wink.gif
)

When I tried to fit 3 spares + 3 back loin ribs on a previous cook I wound up firing up a kettle because I could not get all of the meat on the WSM. But maybe you're using a rib rack to fit more. I like to lay them flat. Or maybe the ribs are cut smaller where you get them. I had to trim the ends of the back loin ribs just to fit them on the grate.

Ditto regarding the BRITU.

You might want to consider coiling the ribs as shown in the BRITU link. I've done as many as 9 at once that way although 6 is way more reasonable.

Not too many if you make two stacks and cook them "piled" up. That is what I do. Every hour just move one rack from the bottom to the top and baste. This stacking keeps them from drying out too.

3 rack of STL cut spares will fit on an 18.5" when rolled and speared with metal kabob skewers. Not sure about full untrimmed spares but expect so.

I've had two rolled set of untrimmed spares on the top rack, and I believe I could have held three....but they'd likely have been touching (if that's an issue for you).

Back