Need recipe/ideas for 'portable' breakfast

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
I'm working on some breakfast ideas for an upcoming fishing trip. Specifically, I need recipes/ideas for breakfast that can be prepared the night before or very quickly the morning they are to be consumed. Keep in mind we're up and on the water before light, so I don't really look forward to getting up at 3...if you know what I mean. Last year I made biscuit sandwiches with egg, ham, cheese and salsa. Pretty basic, but they went over really well. The ideal food is something that can be individually wrapped, doesn't need reheating and is easily handled in a boat. Think a fishing rod in one hand, a breakfast taco in the other... The group is all men, probably lean more towards the egg, sausage, cheese, tortilla fare as opposed to fruit and granola, but I can always offer a mix! Some ingredients can be prepared in advance. I know there's very creative minds out there...any suggestions?

I think Rusty's ideas are the best all round solution to breakfast on the water. I usually just eat a package of peanut butter & crackers. Something I did years ago was to use pancakes like bread and spread peanut butter & jelly in between them. The pancakes held up better than bread in a cooler, it was a little different and very filling.

Make up grilled cheese sammies the night before with eggs and bacon, or eggs and sausage.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Another breakfast burrito idea, but it sounds kind of weird </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rusty, not at all. The combination of potato and onion is classic. I like to combine potato with other ingredients in breakfast tacos. In my mind, I've been thinking of how to fry a whole taco/sandwich whatever in order to hold it all together better. Maybe combine some egg with shredded potato, sausage, cheese...pan fry...???
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I think Rusty's ideas are the best all round solution to breakfast on the water. I usually just eat a package of peanut butter & crackers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim, I do pretty much the same on most trips, but this one is special. Plus I spoiled them last year and they're demanding more
icon_smile.gif
. Fortunately, the guys that go on this one really appreciate a higher level of food both on and off the boat. Some of our dinners are amazing. We're going to be down in Port Mansfield for a week and we don't go out to eat. Last year some of the highlights were ribeyes, fajitas, seafood boil and a German dish made with fantastic sausage from a small town named Walburg just north of Georgetown.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
Jim, I do pretty much the same on most trips, but this one is special. Plus I spoiled them last year and they're demanding more
icon_smile.gif
. Fortunately, the guys that go on this one really appreciate a higher level of food both on and off the boat. Some of our dinners are amazing. We're going to be down in Port Mansfield for a week and we don't go out to eat. Last year some of the highlights were ribeyes, fajitas, seafood boil and a German dish made with fantastic sausage from a small town named Walburg just north of Georgetown. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Port Mansfield, you should be "catching" not fishing, some good fishing down there. We fish out of Caney Creek aka East Matagorda Bay. Why not make the tacos then deep fry them? You could use rice paper wrappers intead of tortillas if available. If you use flour tortillas I think you would have to use the burrito sized tortilla. Maybe Kevin will weigh in here. Good luck on your trip, the fishing has been hot despite the weather.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Why not make the tacos then deep fry them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Right! I'm thinking mini chimichangas!! That would hold everything together and be very manageable in a boat. Now, the question is could I make these in advance, freeze them, thaw, and fry? I don't see why not, although I've never tried to freeze cooked eggs...hmmm...Kevin??? Maybe prepare (meaning assembly) using raw ingredients, thaw and cook...

I haven't fished in Matagorda bay. We're heading down to Seadrift this weekend. Seadrift is about 45 mins south of Port O'Connor. Fish there all the time. In Port M, we should be catching; we certainly did last year. Limited out in trout in 2 hours 3 days running
icon_biggrin.gif
!

Okay, I'm confused. The OP says 'doesn't need reheating' but now you're talking freezing and frying. When--on boat or not on boat--do you plan to cook? Why is freezing necessary? Are you looking at eating cold food on the boat?

The B&B I used to work at had women owners, and they along with some of their friends were novice fly-fisherwomen. They asked me to pack them a breakfast they could pick up on their way out of town for one of their excursions.
Seeing as how they expected something a little-out-of-the normal, and one of their friends was a well know local chef, I made them croque monsiers, with layers of gruyere, black forest ham and dijon on nice crusty french bread slices. I dippd them in egg batter, sauteed them till the cheese melted, then wrapped them individually. Plus cups of sliced strawberries, grapes and melon to take along. I got compliments on that breakfast for a long time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Okay, I'm confused. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry about that. What I meant about not reheating, was not reheating in the boat- we eat it as is. The biscuit/egg sandwiches went over well and they were not hot by the time we ate them so I wouldn't say 'hot food' is manditory, but I think the crowd would prefer something like that as opposed to a cold bowl of fruit. It would be cooked/reheated before leaving the morning we go out, say around 5:30 AM and we'd live with the amount of heat that is retained. We could load food in a separate ice chest to keep warm if needed, but space on the boats becomes an issue. The freezing comes in by perhaps preparing/assembling the raw ingredients in advance, then freezing. I bring this up as it would save time the night before or the morning of consuming. For example: I could shred potato, and combine with egg, cheese, sausage, etc. Roll it into a tortilla and freeze it. This could be done a week in advance when I have the proper facilities and time to prepare. The night before we go out, I take the 'chimis' out of the freezer, put into the fridge and the next morning pan fry. From experience I would rather not spend too much time at night prepping food for the next morning; these fishing trips can be brutal
icon_wink.gif
. Does this sound doable? How well do scrambled eggs freeze? Or do any other recipes come to mind? Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I made them croque monsiers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thom, those sound great!

Potatoes, eggs, meat, etc., would have to be cooked before assembly. Even if very small (thin) you'd overcook the exterior before the interior would cook--and the meat will throw off too much fat to be trapped in the tortillas--it would be greasy.

You can freeze cooked eggs but they are best fortified up front with dairy (cream, milk, cheese), extra yolks, or a mix. You can make breakfast burritos or chimis ahead and freeze them but in both cases I'd suggest fortifying the eggs with a little heavy or haf-and-half and a little of the cheese. Cook, cool (chop up a bit during cooling), cook your meat and potatoes and also cool. Toast your tortillas directly on a burner--no pan--moving frequently and flipping, till lightly browned in spots but pliable. Cool briefly then make your burritos. (Cooling everything gets rid of a lot of moisture. Cooking the torts directly is quick, makes them more pliable--as long as you don't overdo it--and removes the raw flour taste pretty well.) Freeze.

To reheat, do not thaw first. Bake, covered for the first 5-10 min or so, at ~350, then uncover and continue till hot. For chimis, deep fry directly but don't load the fryer as the temp will drop too much. Alternatively, baked as noted above till just warmeed then brown all sides in a little hot fat in a saute pan.

The croque-monsieur idea is very good. I much prefer the Americanized version Thom notes (dipped in an egg wash and sauteed) over the French (with bechamel inside, then topped with more bechamel and broiled). The latter is out of the question but I'm skeptical that the former would freeze well. I don't think the bread (especially) or the cheese would take to it.

One thing I thought of--very 70s--easy to do in advance and you can cook and freeze or freeze and cook: quiche. (Okay, if your cohort would take issue with 'quiche' call it 'egg and cheese pie'.
icon_wink.gif
) A 9-inch serves 8--or 6 more generously--but you could do two at the same time--the pie crusts are the same, the custard is the same, the cheese could be the same for both or different, you could vary the vegs and/or meats. Very easy. Bacon or ham and Gruyère (maybe with leeks), chorizo-queso fresco, zucchini-tomato-fontina-parm, lots of possibilities. And they taste great even at room temp, as they are often served.

Kevin, thanks for the info, especially on the egg fortification. I have until mid-July, so I'll do a couple of trial runs on the chimis. For overall 'crispyness', the deep fried version would certainly be best. What are your thoughts on a pan fried (1/4" oil) version? I probably won't know how the condo kitchen will be equipped - just thinking that I could get a couple of skillets going at the same time. We will bring deep fryers, overall that may be faster. I'm talking propane burner and large stock pot for exterior use. Right now, it looks like I'd be cooking for 13. I could do 2 'small' chimis or 1 large each. The fryer should be able to crisp those up pretty quick. Question: If I make these in advance and freeze, I'm looking at a 7 hour drive to get there. I'm guessing they'll pretty much thaw by the time I get there. Any quality problems with just keeping them in the fridge until used? It would be within a day or 2.

I don't think anyone would object to quiche; we're kind of a retro group without the 70's hair
icon_biggrin.gif
. But as a matter of practicality, I think the taco/chimi would work better in the boat; strictly hand held, no worry of food falling apart, no plates, etc. We generally eat while fishing unless it's really slow... Actually I'll check with the head honcho and see if he has a dinner menu planned yet. The more we can do in advance, the more time we have to relax in the evenings. We may want to do quiche 1 evening. Dinners are preplanned also; put together by an exIBMer whose very into spreadsheets and planning (which is not a bad thing when your 350 miles from home and the town you're in doesn't have a grocery store).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any quality problems with just keeping them in the fridge until used? It would be within a day or 2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Do you mean making them a day or 2 in advance and fridging rather than freezing?

No, I'm talking about making them a week in advance, freezing and transporting them down in a frozen state. The 7 hour trip, even though they are on ice, would most likely be long enough for them to thaw. It's at that point that I'm wondering if the thawed product would be fine to keep in the fridge until ready to cook.

Paul, I think you might find that flour tortillas have "issues" when it comes to being frozen then thawed. The tortillas get moist and soft.

They do--as do other things. That's why I said upthread don't thaw first.

Okay. Plan B: Make ahead and cook them then cool and freeze. Thawing will be less of an issue. I'd consider egg-washing them and baking rather than frying. In either case they'll need to be reheated (I'd suggest baking) to re-establish texture.

Thawing will be less of an issue. I'd consider egg-washing them and baking rather than frying. In either case they'll need to be reheated (I'd suggest baking) to re-establish texture.
[/QUOTE)
Would the thawed version be too fragile to fry? What if I transported the frozen product using dry ice? Would that keep it frozen? I don't have any experience with dry ice, but I would have plenty of room for coolers in the vehicle.

Thawing makes the tortilla (and any 'pastry', among other things) prone to falling apart. It's why you'll see on most packages of prepared frozen food "Do not thaw". Frying, baking, etc., won't save it if it is thawed. For many items cooking first, before freezing, will help. Not all, but many. It should work in this case.

If you don't want to cook first then, yes, dry ice would be the thing. Best if the area it has to cool is small. Figure out how many chimis you can get into a container* and use those rather than bags. Figure out hom many containers will fit into your various coolers and choose the cooler that, after putting in the containers, leaves no more than 50% available free space. That will allow for more efficiant use of the dry ice.

* For integrity and ease of prep I'd go with 10-inch tortillas but make them a bit on the thinner side, fillings-wise. A 10-inch is easier to fold properly and keeping them not-too-fat will make heat ransfer better when you do cook them, thus giving you a better exterior (it will be less likely to overcook while the interior is still cooking.

Back