Need longer smoke duration

Traeger pellets on Amazon get great reviews. Does anyone have and experience with that? Any other recommendations. I am thinking Hickory variety.

Traeger pellets on Amazon get great reviews. Does anyone have and experience with that? Any other recommendations. I am thinking Hickory variety.
Yes. I fully endorse the Traeger maple pellets. Pure maple. Excellent nose and taste. No acrid smoke. A true flavor enhancer. I personally think they burn better in the smoke tube than in a traeger. That’s because the smoke tube smolders and the traeger burns them for heat and smoke is a byproduct.

They don't deliver to my area....LOL
We are sorry, but we do not deliver to your area. Please contact our store, and we can facilitate a pick up.

Do they make an apple cherry blend or do you have to buy a bag of each and mix them?

Agree that you have to get the tube really burning strongly before blowing it out to smolder. Much more flame than you can get from a regular fire starter.

Torch is best. Candle for 5 minutes is good too.

I never have to "light" anything. I put them in the pouch(es), place them on the flavo bars and they light themselves off.

On the flavorizers. Maybe that’s why my pouch didn’t work when I tried it…well no. That was a rotisserie cook. Although I did put it in the corner so maybe didn’t get hot enough.

I put mine right on the flavo bars right over the XOver burner. I use it like that as it's pretty constant output and low output. Enough to make generous smoke whether I use pellets or wood chips

The pouch or CI smoker box on the flavs works well. The grill heats them up enough to start the smoldering smoke.

The problem with putting them on the flav bars is the access once you start cooking. If the smoke bomb stops smoking or bursts into flame, it can be a pain to get access to it.

While a tube can be a pain to get really lit, it is very easy to tend to if located up on the grate.

Agree that smoke from below is best (if you can figure out how to do it on your gasser). My current favorite gasser smoke technique is pellets in the valleys of my GGs. Up at the grate level for access/tending but also below the food. Easy and works great.

There is a trick to not have them burst into flames. Keep air flow inside the container as low as possible. I use a little water container I scavenged from an old useless Weber smoke box. The kind they used to sell for the old grills. I fill that little SS pan with my smoke fuel of choice. Cover tightly with a couple foil layers, and then cut 2 or 3 little slits in it with a sharp knife. It smokes for about 90 minutes quite well. Enough for anything cooked on a gasser. And if I want more, I keep a couple foil packets prepped and ready and it's no trouble to simply lift the grate slightly and drop in a packet. EZPZ

Me again, bought today a Amazen expandable tube and a bag of Cabela’s mesquite pellets. 1999 Genesis hasn’t been used since last year, tried all three burners and are ok, used only front one to test set on Med. 70d day and 15-20 mph wind gusts, added pellets to collapsed tube less than half full and flame start was easy then soon blown out and hot smoking tube was simply laid on top of grate. Very nice smoke stream has been seeping out for 2 1/2hrs and may go one more hr. Expect nicer air and warm temps this weekend to grill something. Thanks to all for your thoughts. BW

Back