Need ideas on what to smoke next!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The ribs were awsome and now I want to do something else. Maybe a brisket, corned beef, or butt. Something that isn't TOO complicated as this will be my second smoke. Thought about doing ribs again, but I'd like to try my hand at something else. I decided to do the dove breasts on the grill. THANKS!

You should try a small turkey, or turkey breast.

Would take you about 4-5 hrs running 325-350. It would give you the chance to do something not lo-n-slo.

After that, head on up to doing butts AND brisket.
Two butts on the top rack, dripping down on the brisket.

The would give you a chance for an overnighter. Works like a charm on the WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Rockwood:
[qb] You should try a small turkey, or turkey breast. Would take you about 4-5 hrs running 325-350.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually not even that long-- more like 2-3 hours for a 10-12 pounder at 325-350.

Pork butt on an overnighter. Gives you lot's of chances to play with fire, but pretty forgiving.

I haven't had my WSM for long and am still having fun playing around with it. I know that it's not very economical, but right now I'm not interested in doing a big load of meat unless I have to. I'd rather refine my technique and knowledge by cooking smaller loads more often. YMMV.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Pork butt on an overnighter. Gives you lot's of chances to play with fire, but pretty forgiving. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I second this. I'm also new to smoking, and last week I cooked babyback ribs following the BRITU method. They came out great! This weekend I'm doing an Eastern NC-style pulled pork. (It's been on the WSM overnight, 13.5 hours so far, and it's up to 188*F.)

It's more effort than ribs, but it's good to try out the Minion method, and I'm learning quite a lot about using the vents to control temperature. I didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night, but next time I'll be more confident about leaving the smoker alone for a longer period of time.

-Richard

Hi! Hope your having alot of fun. You know you can't go wrong with chicken. I like to halve whole chickens and rub'em with different spices. I like to use a jerk rub the best but there are so many different options. Anyway thats my suggestion. Have fun.

Chach

What about something like a pot roast or a similar cut of beef? Not a brisket but a common roast? Anyone try it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom:
[qb] What about something like a pot roast or a similar cut of beef? Not a brisket but a common roast? Anyone try it? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep. I did a chuck roast on the WSM as a pot roast a few weeks ago. Good stuff but I overcooked the meat. Look through the forums and you'll see that quite a few cook roasts regularly on the WSM.

I've done that roast and it is great. I've actually done it both ways he shows on that webpage. But I prefer the pan and veggies much better though. Don't really care much for shredded beef.
My wife even loved the pot roast style on the WSM. I put in a cup and a half of beef broth, put some seasoning on the roast. Then the last two hours threw in some potatoes, onoins, and carrots. Pretty much the same way kevin shows on his webpage.

One thing though. don't even bother checking the temp. I did after it was on for 3 hours and it was around 190f or so. But the meat actually was tough feeling. I almost took it out and put in the slow cooker. But I decided to just throw it back on. Figured I did'nt have anything to lose. 2 hours later took it of, lifted the foil off and WOW. Tender and very good. Had a nice light smoke flavor to it and the veggies were great too.

I've got a few more chuck roast in the freezer and we never really do anything with them. So I'll be doing it again.

I did a small eye of round a few nights ago and it turned out awesome. Put a bit of rub on the outside and basted with apple juice. Cooked it to medium rare and sliced it real, real thin. I didn't think eye of round could taste so good!

Tom,

A ham, a brisket, and a pork loin, are next on my list to cook. There is a pork loin recipe and a couple of ham recipes on this site.
--------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back