NEED HELP with Kobe Sirloin

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Not eetin' it, preparing it.
icon_biggrin.gif

It's 1.09lb.
sear/grill it whole?
slice it into strips and sear?

This will be tonight's dinner, one way or another.
Any and all suggestions are GREATLY appreciated
icon_smile.gif

Thank you.

You can go whole or not. I sometimes cut lengthwise into three strips and cook on skewers.

I cook them like I cook many other steaks - at high heat but indirect the whole time, searing at the end only if necessary. With a very hot grill it often isn't.

Kobe or not, I loathe unseasoned or virtually unseasoned (like salt-and-pepper-only) steaks so I make a rub, which I apply over the salt, as usual. (I like something cased on coffee and cocoa, often.) Not much is needed but doing nothing or almost nothing is a missed opportunity, imo. Your choice and preference, of course.

Thank you Kevin, would you use a CI skillet or not?
Would a seasoning like this jarred work well with the sirloin? Or something simple like ground coffee - brn sugar - paprika - s&p and others...?
Man, I'm open to anything!

I really appreciate your advice. Thank you!

Kobe beef!!! You can tell who the rich people are in Wisconsin.
icon_biggrin.gif

I just like the true taste of beef. no rubs,sauces,just salt & pepper. Sear 1 min. rotate 1min.flip same on other side. move indirect for a internal temp of 140°.
You won't need your BEAR CLAWS on this steak
icon_biggrin.gif

When did you want us over?????
Good Luck Jim.

Whether or not I chose a CI pan would depend on the finish I sought. If seeking a tightly seared exterior, rare or fairly rare interior I might well go with a pan. In that case the pan should be quite hot and the steak(s) should be seared in a little oil. The process is pretty quick. Sugar should not be in the seasoning as the heat is too high for it. If going for a grilled-flavor finish (or if I didn't want to deal with a pan), with a med-rare finish, I'd grill.

The seasoning you link to is better suited to grilling.

For a coffee-cocoa thing that's fairly simple you could go with a mix of equal parts finely ground coffee, bittersweet or unsweetened cocoa, a ground chile, ground black pepper, and a half-part each of granulated garlic and onion. If using the grill add a pinch or two of sugar if you wish.

Dry the meat, salt rather lightly on all sides, wait a few minutes, then apply the rub lightly on all sides. Finish with another light salt application.

If using a pan - and if desired - you can lightly sprinkle a little sugar on the seared side of the steak after it's been seared.

If you go a different rub route the same applies: avoid much sugar, if any, in the rub if using a pan; add a pinch after searing, if you'd like.

[Imo, the 'true' taste of beef needs help. I know many disagree. Unseasoned or salt only, or the like - well, one bite and then the dog can have the rest. Too lacking to me.]

Thank you Chuck...
Thank you Kevin...

I have found a direction! <span class="ev_code_GREY">i love this place!</span>

Results, good I hope, may be posted later.

Back