Need Help with Final Assembly

Roy-Parallax

TVWBB Pro
Here's the Genesis 2000 I've had almost done for quite some time. Just finished the new wood slats. IMG_20220813_145327.jpg

Really happy with the way it's turned out -- thanks to the help of a lot of you fellas. Was truly a collaborative effort. It's got RCPlanebuilder's stainless bars, 9 mm stainless rod grates from an old Summit and most everything inside was replaced. Can post more extensively some other time.

For now I need help because I've got this:
IMG_20220813_145331.jpg

and this:
IMG_20220813_145338.jpg

and absent some assistance, never the twain shall meet.

For those interested in the project that's distracted me from grill work, here it is getting hauled out:

And then back in:

That's four days of super intense work for two guys along with some scary "holy heck, what now???" moments. Like when, upon coming out, there was a crack in the fiberglass over the keel and we had no idea how to fix it (or if it could be fixed). And discovering the drop board had a major split right down the middle. And then, upon hauling in and sailing off, super excited about our accomplishment, my partner-in-boat-crime says, "I think we're sinking". Talk about a scary as heck moment. Thought our keel repair had gone horribly wrong.

Turns out, we had pulled an old plug, with an intention of replacing it with a new one. Then, with everything else on our plate, we spaced it. Fortunately, it was near the water line so we didn't have to haul out again or even hire a diver. Just bought the plug and installed it from the dinghy. Problem solved.

That was last weekend (Friday through Monday with the haul-in on Tuesday). Leaving time this week to finish my 2000. :0)

Roy, the grill looks really nice. I like the wood. In your picture it looks the grill is sitting on the axle instead of it being inserted in the holes for it in the frame. Optical illusion?

Roy, the grill looks really nice. I like the wood. In your picture it looks the grill is sitting on the axle instead of it being inserted in the holes for it in the frame. Optical illusion?
Yes, that's an optical illusion, Steve. Thanks; glad you like it.

Dan, thanks for the photos. Here's the result. Both my grills are now officially complete. This one's a bit of a mix and match job. I've got Fiberon on the lower deck, cedar with pecan stain (a combination I find particularly attractive). Cedar is fairly weather resistant and the grill sits under a deck. Just the same, I gave it a coat of Thompson's Water Seal.

Managed to rescue the original handle. For my Platinum with the blue lid, I paid that fellow, Mike, for a gorgeous new mahogany handle but this time I wanted to restore the very weathered original. Worked really hard and the result isn't great. But it's good as I can get it. Sanded really well and has many light coats of stain plus some Water Seal. At some point, perhaps I'll consider trying to make another handle with cedar. I just don't have a router and doing it by hand seems like more work than it's worth. IMG_20220813_155902.jpgIMG_20220813_155854.jpg

Wow, Roy, you have TWO great Weber grills! Nice work on your newest addition. I am glad you could save the handle as it is not as easy as you might think to replicate one. Happy Grilling :coolkettle: !

Thanks Larry. Thanks Jon. The handle came out alright. I have a friend with the tools to cut a new one pretty easily so maybe we'll do that. Or not. It's kind of cool to keep the old handle, even if it still looks a bit weathered. It's history.

Thought of trying to save the old slats but they were pretty far gone. Turned upside down they looked a lot better but I figured it would ultimately be easier and come out way better if I recreated them. Plus, I had just the right amount of cedar in the garage. The Fiberon for the bottom shelf too. Both left over from a deck rebuild. The cedar was for the railing, the Fiberon from the decking.

Wait - you're in Bellingham? I've been there!

If you'll indulge my geekerey - I got to see the load frame that was used to calibrate the load cells that were used to find the center of gravity of the Boeing 727 while I was there. It may mean nothing to anyone else, but I thought it was pretty cool. It's also the home of Bill Anders - one of the first three people to go to the Moon. That one's a little bit cooler.

Back