Need help with 22" modifications

Howard B.

TVWBB Member
You guys smoke substantially more than I do with the WSM so I’m looking for some guidance. Received the 22" yesterday and put it together, cannot wait to finally be able to do 6-9 racks of ribs (that's my goal) without much of an issue.

I want to add a third grate as I know someone who hopefully can fabricate new grate supports. I was thinking of lengthening the supports by 1 1/2" so I still have room to add more charcoal, and then have the third grate 1/2 way between the two existing grates. Question is - the tabs that support the middle grate, should they hold another bottom grate (they would stick out more) or do I have smaller tabs to hold another top grate? I’m just trying to brainstorm and pick your brains of possible issues before jumping into having them made.

Thanks,
Howard

I think you would want to mimic the size of the bottom grate. If I recall, getting the top grate past the top supports is difficult, if not impossible.

Another, less permanent, solution is to do something like this.

I did something similar on my WSM, and actually have it so the new rack rests, via bolts and washer, on the bottom rack.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
I think you would want to mimic the size of the bottom grate. If I recall, getting the top grate past the top supports is difficult, if not impossible.

Another, less permanent, solution is to do something like this.

I did something similar on my WSM, and actually have it so the new rack rests, via bolts and washer, on the bottom rack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't see the link. Says "forbidden".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by james brosche:
Can't see the link. Says "forbidden". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You'll have to copy/paste the link into your browser address line. My server won't display photos when the link is embedded in a page not part of the virtualweberbullet.com domain. This prevents theft of my bandwidth.

Regards,
Chris

I basically did the same thing on my WSM 18 I just grabbed an extra grate from one of my Kettles and put stainless steel threaded rods on as legs and large washers as feet (all stainless, don't use galvanized). It just sits ontop of the lower grate. I have to angle it to get it in or out, but it works great! If you want I can take some better photos of it but you can see it in action here:
http://gallery.me.com/philip_madden/100027
Its a very simple and easy way of adding a third level.

Back