Need help getting high temps in the WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRM

I like to cook some things at a high temp. to do this, I light 3 chimneys and fill the ring. sometimes, I will get a lid temp of 340 -360. but sometings it only runs 290 - 310. This is when the outside temp is about the same. What can I do to get the higher temp?

Are you leaving the water pan empty? If not, you need to try that. If so, it may be the mass of what you are cooking keeping you from achieving a higher temp.

Boaz, AL. You know any Smiths-- Art and Jeff?

(Apologies to the forum for violating my own rule of not going off-topic with personal inquiries, but with no Private Messaging currently available...)

You could try giving your coals more air. When I wish to allow more air in for a time, I undo the access door latch, slide the door up an inch or two then hold it in place by leaning a 2' 2x4 against it. Alternately, there are some recent posts about inverting the access door....

The first time I used sand in the pan , I had trouble getting the heat down. Doing everything the same ,only using sand. I cut back on the amount of hot coals I start with , and it worked well the next time .

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JRM:
I like to cook some things at a high temp. to do this, I light 3 chimneys and fill the ring. sometimes, I will get a lid temp of 340 -360. but sometings it only runs 290 - 310. This is when the outside temp is about the same. What can I do to get the higher temp? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greetings and welcome to a fellow N Alabama WSM'er.

Jim

On the 4th I smoked a 4 lb meatloaf following the procedures in the "cooking topics" section.

Empty water pan lined with foil. Full chimney of 2nd use Kingsford fully lit and half a chimney of unlit on top of that. (Again, 2nd use Kingsford) The temp went up to about 265* and I closed one bottom vent to a little less than 50%. Temp settled and held 340-350* for the full 2 hr cook.

The meatloaf was great and 5 people ate almost the entire 4 lb'r.

Try an empty water pan and wide open vents. The temps should fall right in line.

good luck!

Just a thought, you might try using lump charcoal. It burns quite a bit hotter than briquettes. It does burn faster though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back