Need Help DigiQ DX3

ChipBrown

I purchased a DigiQ DX3 for my 22” WSM. I have used 3 times and have not been pleased with the results. Does anyone actually use this product and have success? I have followed the directions to a “T.” All bottom vents closed, top vent barely cracked, vent on fan unit half and fully open, the vent hole inside unit is not blocked, let smoker come up to temp before plugging fan on, etc. I can never get the temp to stay above 200 and the fire always goes out. I have to babysit smoker all of the time, way more than I did beforehand. The only other thing I can think of is that I have too much charcoal in the unit so air doesn’t come up. Any thoughts or input? If you aren’t supposed to use a lot of charcoal, then I’m assuming you have to refill every 2 hours or so.

Chip, I purchased a DX3 about two months ago and have used it three times. I have not had any problems and the unit holds the temp like a rock. I have the 10 cfm fan. I've smoked at both 250 & 275 degrees. I also have the 22". Cooked a brisket for father's day that took 12 hours. Temp only varied a degree or three up and down from 250*. Here's what I do:
Open all the vents.
Fill the charcoal basket. I rarely try to save the charcoal. Its pretty cheap so I don't mind using some extra.
Light charcoal using minion method, I.e. 15 or so briqs
Vent on the Pit Viper wide open.
When the charcoal get to about 200 I shut the bottom vents completely and let the fan take over. Top vent still open.
Put on the meat. Maybe close the top vent by about half.

That's about it. I did have a problem with my first cook. I could not get the temp to where I wanted it. I called customer support and left a message. They called me back in about 10 minutes. Problem was I had "Ramp" on. It ensures you don't go over your set temp buy turning down the fan quite early. That is, if your pit is set to 225* the fan may start slowing down at 200. If you can't resolve your issue I'd suggest giving them a call. They could have not been more helpful or nicer. Good luck.

I also have the Digi Q DX3, been using it for over a year now with no problems. What I do is open the bottom vents just a tiny little bit, and the top vent just under a quarter open. If your fire is going out it is being starved of oxygen. I fiddle more with the top vent, depending on what temp I want to cook at. But at least one of my bottom vents is open a bit. I hope this helps. They are really a good product, and once you get dialed in hold temps rock steady. Also I don’t wait to turn it on once temp is up. I turn it on right from the start.

I also have the Digi Q DX3, been using it for over a year now with no problems. What I do is open the bottom vents just a tiny little bit, and the top vent just under a quarter open. If your fire is going out it is being starved of oxygen. I fiddle more with the top vent, depending on what temp I want to cook at. But at least one of my bottom vents is open a bit. I hope this helps. They are really a good product, and once you get dialed in hold temps rock steady. Also I don’t wait to turn it on once temp is up. I turn it on right from the start.
Thanks. I appreciate it

Chip, I purchased a DX3 about two months ago and have used it three times. I have not had any problems and the unit holds the temp like a rock. I have the 10 cfm fan. I've smoked at both 250 & 275 degrees. I also have the 22". Cooked a brisket for father's day that took 12 hours. Temp only varied a degree or three up and down from 250*. Here's what I do:
Open all the vents.
Fill the charcoal basket. I rarely try to save the charcoal. Its pretty cheap so I don't mind using some extra.
Light charcoal using minion method, I.e. 15 or so briqs
Vent on the Pit Viper wide open.
When the charcoal get to about 200 I shut the bottom vents completely and let the fan take over. Top vent still open.
Put on the meat. Maybe close the top vent by about half.

That's about it. I did have a problem with my first cook. I could not get the temp to where I wanted it. I called customer support and left a message. They called me back in about 10 minutes. Problem was I had "Ramp" on. It ensures you don't go over your set temp buy turning down the fan quite early. That is, if your pit is set to 225* the fan may start slowing down at 200. If you can't resolve your issue I'd suggest giving them a call. They could have not been more helpful or nicer. Good luck.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice

I always have top vent wide open all bottom vents closed and also don't choke the fan down at all. I have it wide open. I have the larger pit bull fan. I turn everything on as soon as I dump the hot coals and let itself get to temp and stabilize.

Back