Need feedback on a restore - Old Spirit 500 garage sale find for $10

Jeff J

TVWBB Member
I was on the way home and saw a 22.5 Silver sitting inside a garage sale. I stopped and asked, and the lady said "no it's not for sale". Then she tells me she has a gasser in her shed she would love to get rid of for $10 with a tank. I ask "Is it a Weber?". She says she thinks so, and we go look. Sure enough a nice little Spirit 500 in pretty good shape outside. We pluck it out, and she throws in the tank. I load her up and another one is rescued.

Okay, first the photos.

IMAG0359.jpg

IMAG0360.jpg

IMAG0362.jpg

IMAG0364.jpg

IMAG0361.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

Outside looks fine for cleanup. I took it all apart and the cart is stable. The guts are rotted out completely. Needs burners, bars, igniter, grates, and maybe a side table. Maybe I'm asking the wrong crowd, but do I spend the $200 to restore it? Never used a 2 burner Weber gasser before, and I have a Genesis 3000 I just finished, so I really don't have a need for another one. Just trying to find out if I decide to invest the time and money in it, I won't be disappointed with the performance of the grill.

Maybe if someone with some experience with a Spirit 500 or Silver A can tell me if it is a good grill, I may proceed. If I don't restore, I was thinking about figuring out how to mount one of my Smokey Joe Platinums on the cart and cannibalize parts or scrap the rest.

Please chime in if you have an opinion either way, and thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
I have a 2002 two burner Silver A that I picked up off CL a couple of years ago for $50 that works fine. I had to buy new flavorizer bars and I think I bought new burners. I bought SS replacements. I also have a 1999 Genesis 1000 three burner that I picked up off of CL. I use the Silver A when I don't need to cook very much food or have too much for the 1000 to handle and use both Gas grills. Personally, I find the Silver A is easier to regulate the temp in because of only having two burners. The 1000 gets pretty hot, even with only two burners on at the low temp setting. I would restore it if it was me.

Wayne

I would restore it. I had that exact grill (sold it to my friend for his son) but I sometimes kick myself for doing it. Get that baby restored and I think you will be amazed at how well it can turn out some great food.

Thanks for the feedback. After much thought, I've decided to restore it. I just can't stand the thought of pushing it to the curb, but have promised myself this will be the last one (yea, we'll see I guess). I searched around for parts and came in at $199.50 for everything I need except some nuts and bolts. I ordered:

Regulator and hose
Cast Iron Griddle
Porcelain steel grates
Porcelain Flavorizers
Ignitor
Weber Cover
Burner Tubes

I am going to scrub her down tomorrow and see what I've got. Also will detach the sides from the lid and start painting whatever needs it. I will admit I cheaped out on the grill grates and bars by going porcelain enameled, but my intended use for this will be for griddle work (bacon, etc), veggies and fish, as I will use my Genesis or One Touch for primary meat cooking. So even though I got low end on the grates and bars, they should last for awhile based on what the grill will be used for. Plus I needed to be able to tell my better half I came in at less than $200 to stay out of the doghouse, and I really wanted that CI griddle for this restore.

Thanks again for the feedback, and I will update this thread as progress is made.

Last edited:
Look forward to your progress. I wonder if there are any other grills out there that people are as fanatic about restoring as weber owners are.

Made a little progress today, and got through the conversation with the Mrs. that this would be a permanent member of our home. So now it's full speed ahead. Everything was pressure washed, scrubbed with steel wool, sanded and two coats of High Heat flat black today. Tomorrow will be a flip over of all parts to be painted and two coats on the other side of each one. Photos from today for your viewing pleasure (Sorry for the quality of some. Sometimes the phone takes good ones, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on what mood it is in.)

Parts after cleaning

IMAG0369.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0377.jpg

IMAG0370.jpg

IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0373.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

2 coats of paint later, and waiting to dry overnight...

IMAG0378.jpg

IMAG0379.jpg

Unfortunately, the restore has stopped. While turning the cookbox over for paint, I discovered a bad crack in the box bottom about 3 inches long. I would never consider this grill safe not knowing if the crack would get worse. I guess I will move on to my next project which is working on my SJP/WSM Stacker smoker mod. Thanks to all who showed interest in this thread!

Back