Need cosmetic help for dark ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris, the reason I asked is that all your pictures look so good! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks, everyone, for all your help. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I'm looking forward to my next rib cook - they're going to be beautiful as well as delicious!

Rita

Hi Rita,
One last thing, if you do foil and are using digital thermometer probes, then when the ribs get 140 F internal meat temperature you can foil the ribs and place back on the smoker.

Why 140 F?

Because above 140 F there is no more absorption of smoke in the meat (so I have been told), so I figure you can alleviate some of the additional darkening of the meat by foiling at that point.

Then when the ribs are 180 F then take them off and crisp them on the grill like you have been doing and baste.

Best of luck on the ribs!

Regards,
Preston

Thanks, Preston. Those sound like good guidelines, especially for me with a first-time foil. I'm looking forward to the comparison. One thing about it......eating my misteaks will be a good thing! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Rita

It's my understanding that at 140* the ability to form a deeper smoke ring is no longer available, due to varied nitrates and bacterias that are present.

The application of smoke is a matter of personal taste. At temps higher than 140*, your measts will still continue to take on a smokier taste, as much taste as you want to the point of becoming bitter.

Unfortunately, the term "smoke-ring" is very misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back