Need an easy Rib recipe

Chris Sully

TVWBB Member
Apparently my search skills leave much to be desired, because I can not find a simple rib recipe that pretty much lays it all out for a newbie.

I am planning on doing 5 racks of BB's this weekend as my first smoke since I somehow got suckered into cooking dinner for the family.

Also, Can I do beef ribs at the same time or am I asking for trouble? My wife is Jewish and it is either that or chicken or she cooks her own dinner.

Depends on how strictly Jewish she is. Is mixing pork and other meats in the same cooking vessel kosher?

If you're going to get serious about smoking, you may want to get a separate kettle for non-pork cooking. You can get them off CL for $20~$30. Besides, having a backup grill/smoker makes any mixed meat cook easier, kosher or not.

Of course, you could always just do beef ribs.

WALTER`S EASY STICKY RIBS

For the Rub

1 Cup each dark and light brown sugar

2 Teaspoons seasoning salt ( Lawry's )

1 Tblspn Freshly ground black pepper.

1 Cup Apple Juice

1 cup of your favorive BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Rays Hickory)

1 cup honey

Mix up rub thoroughly, rub on ribs and refrigerate overnight. I am gonna wrap my ribs in seran wrap as well.

Mix in sauce and honey together.

Fire your pit/bullet 225-250.

The recipe calls for apple and hickory wood chuncks.

Cook ribs for 3 hours, spray ribs with apple juice every 45 mins with spray bottle. (might wanna wait a little bit later before basting so your rub can *set up* first)

After 3 hours, double wrap up your ribs with foil, sprinkle mix of light and dark brown sugar and honey to meat side of ribs,pour apple juice on bottom of ribs, back on your cooker for another 2 hours.

After those 2 hours, open up the foil and start glazing with sauce honey mixture. leave foil open and cook for an addition 30 mins.

Remove your ribs from your cooker and while plating cut the racks in half, and drizzle some additional honey over your ribs and serve at once!!!

Hope this helps with the baby backs , I am still working on my beef ribs myself, the wife loves em.

No problem cooking beef and pork on the same smoker. Grate space is the only issue. Several options, ie, rolling, rib racks and extra grates are all options.

Mark

Thanks everyone.

My wife isn't Kosher at all really, she just doesn't eat pork. We talked about the cooking on the same smoker issue and it is all good.

Do beef ribs take longer to smoke than BB's? Should I put them on the bottom grate of my 22.5?

In my experience beef ribs will take about the same time as spares. This of course is all dependant on how much meat is on the bone. Just check for doneness and pull when ready. Can be held in foil till service without problem.

Mark

Back