Need Advice on Used Smokefire

John A. Winston

TVWBB Member

Need some advice on this used Smokefire EX4 for sell for $350. Needs new glow plug. Grill has been registered with Weber, has the upgraded pellet chute. I asked if the grill would start with the current glow plug and he responded that "Everything works other than the glow plug". Not sure what that means. Reluctant to buy if it is unable to start. I have followed the threads here on the history of the Smokefire and need advice if the group would purchase this grill. Thanks.

If he accurately performed troubleshooting steps then I suppose he could conclude with certainty that a new glow plug will correct the issue. But not all folks really troubleshoot; some just make assumptions like if their car doesn't start and behaves like a dead battery they buy a battery when, in fact, it could be the alternator, starter, etc. I thought a spare glow plug was included with the SF.

But I'm rambling. Others here will be able to comment on what it could mean to you that the smoker is registered, such as whether or not you can get free parts.

Good luck!

If he accurately performed troubleshooting steps then I suppose he could conclude with certainty that a new glow plug will correct the issue. But not all folks really troubleshoot; some just make assumptions like if their car doesn't start and behaves like a dead battery they buy a battery when, in fact, it could be the alternator, starter, etc. I thought a spare glow plug was included with the SF.

But I'm rambling. Others here will be able to comment on what it could mean to you that the smoker is registered, such as whether or not you can get free parts.

Good luck!
Thanks

The unit should have come with extra glow plugs. Has he blown through the extras?
I can drop one in the mail to you tomorrow so you can test it.

I hope a $350 Smokefire EX4 does not come available in my area. It would cause serious marital problems. :ROFLMAO:
Sorry John. I know that was not helpful. I sure hope this works out for you and you end up with a great grill really cheap.

The unit should have come with extra glow plugs. Has he blown through the extras?
I can drop one in the mail to you tomorrow so you can test it.
Appreciate the offer but I can pick one up locally. If the seller is willing I would like to put a new glow plug in and see if the grill works. Will the grill not start if the glow plug is bad?

You don't have to actually start a fire to check out the major components. Open the grill up like what you see in the video. Turn on the power and check that the controller lights up. Start the grill at any temp you set and watch the fire pot and listen to the sounds. You should see the auger turning, pellets dropping, and the fan blowing. That checks out the vitals of the grill minus the glow plug. A glow plug problem is often caused by the ground not touching the plug. 350 is a fair price if the vitals work. Here's a pic of how to solve the ground problem. Hope it helps.
Glow plug Clamp.jpg

You don't have to actually start a fire to check out the major components. Open the grill up like what you see in the video. Turn on the power and check that the controller lights up. Start the grill at any temp you set and watch the fire pot and listen to the sounds. You should see the auger turning, pellets dropping, and the fan blowing. That checks out the vitals of the grill minus the glow plug. A glow plug problem is often caused by the ground not touching the plug. 350 is a fair price if the vitals work. Here's a pic of how to solve the ground problem. Hope it helps.
View attachment 61517
That’s what I needed to know.

So once a pellet grill is going is doesn't need the igniter rod? Just wondering because every once in a while when mine is running I do see the indicator for the igniter come on occasionally

So once a pellet grill is going is doesn't need the igniter rod? Just wondering because every once in a while when mine is running I do see the indicator for the igniter come on occasionally
It doesn't need the rod once it's burning. Both my RecTec and Smokefire have an auto relight function. In the event of a flameout the controller turns on the rod for some unknown time and, if the auger feeds pellets, you get a relight. That feature caused a big fire in both of my grills so I'm not a fan.

It doesn't need the rod once it's burning. Both my RecTec and Smokefire have an auto relight function. In the event of a flameout the controller turns on the rod for some unknown time and, if the auger feeds pellets, you get a relight. That feature caused a big fire in both of my grills so I'm not a fan.
Hmmm.

Need some advice on this used Smokefire EX4 for sell for $350. Needs new glow plug. Grill has been registered with Weber, has the upgraded pellet chute. I asked if the grill would start with the current glow plug and he responded that "Everything works other than the glow plug". Not sure what that means. Reluctant to buy if it is unable to start. I have followed the threads here on the history of the Smokefire and need advice if the group would purchase this grill. Thanks.
We're all waiting and holding our breath. :LOL: Any update?

Gotta say I put off buying a pellet grill until the Member's Mark fell in my lap at such a great deal. Now? I wonder why I waited so long. I'm lovin the thing. Just did steaks on mine last night. Outstanding! My Genesis and my Wolf have both been "under cover" basically since I got this little pellet popper. My only regret? I didn't buy TWO!

I would suggest not waiting. Jump. Pellet, at least Smokefire, is the real deal.

My other brand has much less flavor

Back